News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

ATM Mining Telephone - 1940’s

Started by FABphones, July 12, 2021, 03:46:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FABphones

An industrial telephone, supplied to the UK Government, made specifically for the mining industry by Automatic Telephone Manufacturing Company Ltd, Liverpool, England.

These telephones sat above surface and were certified by the Ministry of Fuel and Power/Mines Department for surface use only. When the pits were closed they were removed from service. The metal plate on the front of the telephone is dated June 1948 and includes the text 'Cert No.T/Tele 77' and 'for surface use only'.

https://www.britishtelephones.com/atm/t3903.htm
and
https://www.britishtelephones.com/atm/l11561.htm

This is a magneto telephone, which retains it's blanking plate. Many over the interim years (this one in the region of 70+ years old) have had a dial added, but this telephone appears untouched.

The Bellset underneath is Bakelite and is still connected to the telephone by its original cords. This phone would have been in daily use during it's working life, so the cords have remained in pretty good condition.

The main body of phone and handset are both Bakelite. The case is of moulded Bakelite with black enamelled sheet metal sides. This phone still has it's original ATM 164 style handset.

There is a small piece missing from the side of the Bellset, which won't be too difficult to put right. It isn't unusual to find some damage to the Bakelite Bellset, the Magneto above is quite weighty. A piece is also missing from one endcap; a repair is possible, but I have plenty of these in the spares box so a quick swap over is all that is required to make good.

Weight 12lbs. Height 10.5in - width 10in - depth 6.5in.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Key2871

Interesting set, how did you come about owning it?
KEN

RB

That is an interesting design.
It would look kind of majestic as a door stop at a convention. no offense to you or the phone, just my mind wandering.
I would not want to carry if for very long. lol.
Thanks for sharing.

FABphones

Finished work on this today. Patched the broken area to base using expoxy putty.

This particular brand of epoxy putty has given me issues on each of my projects of late. The colour is distinctly grey, not black, and there have been issues with curing. Consequently due to the colour, I have had to spray paint the repair area in black (had I known this in advance I could have used an automotive filler, cheaper and available over the counter). Not as invisible a repair as I had hoped for.

Cleaned and polished using Brasso, Novus and Polishing Paste No5.

Another space on the workbench.  :)
On to the next...

A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Doug Rose

Very nice CJ. Very different....Doug
Kidphone

countryman

Very unusual phone, and the repair did not come out bad at all!

oldguy

Gary

RDPipes

Great save! The more I look at it the more I want one........like I need another phone, LOL!