News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Dial Center cards Question

Started by RoatryPhoneLover_2000, August 10, 2022, 10:18:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darkstar2006

Recently I purchased a WE D1 it had a black and white acetate dial card. I always wanted one of those "WE arrow 'put your finger in the hole'" dial cards but could not find one in the archives. When I did find one (I don't remember where I found it) but the image was a little fuzzy and grey scaled.
I was able to "open image in new web browser" where I could adjust the contrast, coloring and sharpen up the image.
I then use just about the same procedure as SUnset2 except:
I use MS office Publisher and I pick one of the Avery Business Cards template for one that I may have around (hint: look in thrift stores for Avery products) You create one image and the laser will print 10 business card stock images.
Hole punch (thanks for that tip, a real time saver over scissors. I punch my clear acetate also) and done.

I either one of my two laptops Win11 with MS Office 2007 or WIN7 with MS Office 2010 (don't ask). Hp laserjet 200 mfp m276
Why do people with cell phones use "old phone" as their ring tone?

-Dave S.

Fwbeachbum

Quote from: SUnset2 on August 12, 2022, 01:15:48 AMI'll just toss out how I make substitute number cards.

First I either find a scan or make a scan of the style of card I want to replicate, based usually on the make of phone and period that I want to represent.  I then use Photoshop Elements to create a layer with the new exchange name that I want to use.  Copperplate is the font that looks like what Western Electric used for their cards.  Other companies used different fonts.  I adjust the font sizes to match the example card.  I blank out the original exchange name and combine the layers.  I then duplicate it to make several copies on the same page. 

I print it onto card stock with a laser printer.  If I want it to look old and yellowed, I print it onto ivory colored card stock.  I also sometimes use a light gray card stock to resemble what WE used in the 1960s.

I then use an old telephone company surplus numbering stamp to print the numerals.  I have a couple different styles, metal and rubber, depending on the look I want.  It is good to have extra blanks to stamp on, as I often get the stamp misaligned.

For Western Electric, I have a Fiskars circle punch that I punch them out with.  For Automatic Electric, Kellogg, GPO, etc, (which are larger) I cut them out by hand with scissors. 

I have just started playing with this. I use almost the same process except I use the software to put the phone number on too. I don"t have the hole punch but I have a Cricut that I used to cut them out. I have only done 9 so far.
I have a 1952 500 c/d with a metal finger wheel, I think I will use a 1950s style card and put my childhood phone number on it. POplar1-1106 Once I finish cleaning it up.
Jeff Lee