News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 251 Ringer does not work

Started by phoneyouth, February 15, 2023, 04:23:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FABphones

Quote from: phoneyouth on February 21, 2023, 10:54:13 PM...I think last time I had the phone open it had markings. I'll look tomorrow.

As per post above take photos and add them to this thread.

Photos help take out guesswork, helps members to help you, and helps to keep down some of the to and fro if we can see the actual item under discussion in full.

A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

TelePlay

What, if anything, is stamped on the bottom of the base?

My AB1 came with the following base markings, previously removed frequency ringer, no ringer mount and an F1W handset.

TelePlay

Quote from: phoneyouth on February 22, 2023, 07:43:37 AMCan you highlight in the picture also the set screw for me?

From reply 20 above:

phoneyouth

Quote from: TelePlay on February 22, 2023, 07:52:50 AMFrom reply 20 above...

Thank you. I thought originally the arrow was an indication of sliding the ringer to remove back when the screw is loosened. Sorry. Long day.

phoneyouth

Many thanks to RDPIPES who is sending me a standard ringer, condenser screw, and some dial cards.

Can someone tell me where I should put the screw maybe with a picture and an arrow?

Is the condenser underneath the flat silver metal bar that is sticking up in my phone picture? Should that bar be screwed down?

RDPipes

Quote from: phoneyouth on February 22, 2023, 06:08:21 PMMany thanks to RDPIPES who is sending me a standard ringer, condenser screw, and some dial cards.

Can someone tell me where I should put the screw maybe with a picture and an arrow?

Is the condenser underneath the flat silver metal bar that is sticking up in my phone picture? Should that bar be screwed down?
Matthew, Yes the flat bar clamp is held down by a screw, the screw enters from the underside of the base and into the clamp. These come up missing a lot and I think its from people who think the screw holds the base on and after unscrewing it they lose it, that or there's some Gremlin that's taking them.

phoneyouth

Quote from: RDPipes on February 22, 2023, 07:29:25 PMMatthew, Yes the flat bar clamp is held down by a screw, the screw enters from the underside of the base and into the clamp. These come up missing a lot and I think its from people who think the screw holds the base on and after unscrewing it they lose it, that or there's some Gremlin that's taking them.

So the flat bar clamp is suppose to touch/make contact with the condenser?

Also, another question, the former AT&T man at my church told me there is a green wire that has to be disconnected along with the red and black wire to remove the ringer. Is this right? I thought it was just a red and black that needs to be disconnected according to the Western Electric wiring diagram provided.

TelePlay

Quote from: phoneyouth on February 22, 2023, 09:45:32 PMSo the flat bar clamp is suppose to touch/make contact with the condenser?

Also, another question, the former AT&T man at my church told me there is a green wire that has to be disconnected along with the red and black wire to remove the ringer. Is this right? I thought it was just a red and black that needs to be disconnected according to the Western Electric wiring diagram provided.

Yes, the "flat bar clamp) comes into contact with the condenser and hold it firmly in place. That's why the flat bar is bent inward toward the base, to contact the condenser. The wires coming out of the condenser are shielded.

A WE B1A ringer has red and black wires. I don't know what that frequency ringer has. Take the ringer out and then make note as to how many wires are attached to the ringer, their colors and which color is attached to what terminals.

Once you get your B1A, this is how it is wired into the phone, on a 302. If not the same, post pictures and let someone take it from there.

phoneyouth

Quote from: TelePlay on February 22, 2023, 10:04:55 PMYes, the "flat bar clamp) comes into contact with the condenser and hold it firmly in place. That's why the flat bar is bent inward toward the base, to contact the condenser. The wires coming out of the condenser are shielded.

A WE B1A ringer has red and black wires. I don't know what that frequency ringer has. Take the ringer out and then make note as to how many wires are attached to the ringer, their colors and which color is attached to what terminals.

Once you get your B1A, this is how it is wired into the phone, on a 302. If not the same, post pictures and let someone take it from there.

Should arrive tomorrow. So I may try tomorrow to replace the ringer.

phoneyouth

Quote from: phoneyouth on February 23, 2023, 09:57:18 PMShould arrive tomorrow. So I may try tomorrow to replace the ringer.

Got the ringer in but the red wire broke to the ringer so we are going to try to solder in back.

phoneyouth

Quote from: phoneyouth on February 24, 2023, 03:15:50 PMGot the ringer in but the red wire broke to the ringer so we are going to try to solder in back.

Success! We didn't have to solder just split the two ends of the red wire where they disconnected and used electrical tape to wrap and connected and it rings!

Thank you everyone!

My Cell2Jack Bluetooth device that I use does not send enough power for it to ring at the top bias ring level, but it will ring the lowest level. I am using a line splitter on that device to connect two landlines and that may be splitting the power some, hence the less power going to the WE phone.

Will have to experiment more later.

TelePlay

Quote from: phoneyouth on February 24, 2023, 05:51:01 PMWe didn't have to solder just split the two ends of the red wire where they disconnected and used electrical tape to wrap and connected and it rings!

Not the best fix. A short piece of shrink wrap tubing placed on the wire before soldering to cover the soldered joint would be preferable.

If it stops ringing, check that joint first.

phoneyouth

Quote from: TelePlay on February 24, 2023, 06:07:34 PMNot the best fix. A short piece of shrink wrap tubing placed on the wire before soldering to cover the soldered joint would be preferable.

If it stops ringing, check that joint first.

Okay. Thanks.

phoneyouth

I wanted to add some pictures of the inside as requested and let you all tell me what you make of the markings. I think this is indeed an AB1. Looks like it is also marked 8 10 51 2.

RDPipes

Quote from: phoneyouth on February 24, 2023, 11:35:49 PMI wanted to add some pictures of the inside as requested and let you all tell me what you make of the markings. I think this is indeed an AB1. Looks like it is also marked 8 10 51 2.

It is an AB1 and the other markings are the date of manufacture, 8/10/51, unsure what the 2 means