News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Yet another 616 problem

Started by m1898, December 18, 2013, 08:08:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

m1898

I just my KX-T7130 phone today. I hooked it up to one of my 616s, and the phone would not work. The lights wound mometarly flash, then mothing. I can hook up a regular phone to it and the phone works fine. I tried with the 6 conductor cord that came with the 7130, then a 4 conductor, then a 2 conductor, still nothing. Powered it down, removed battery, unplugged unit. Waited a half hour, still a no-go. The 7130 works perfectly on my second 616, so it's not the phone. Any ideas? Thank you.     Jim
"Oh lord it's hard to be humble, when you're perfect in every way. I can't wait to look in the mirror, I get better looking each day"

poplar1

Do you have one 616 and one 61610? The 616 is the one with a 50-pin socket for a 25-pair cable. It is programmed with a single line phone connected to Port 21. I don't think the 7130 can be used with these early systems. It may be that only single line phones can be used.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

poplar1

The 616 and 61610 have different manuals and different programming. You can download them here:

http://www.wedophones.com/PanasonicManualsLead.htm
KX-T 616
KX-T616 Easa-Phone Installation Manual Hi Res 5247zb
KX-T616 Easa-Phone Installation Manual Low Res 5247zb
KX-T616 Easa-Phone Station User Manual 5245za
KX-T616 Station User Guide
KX-T61610 Installation & Programming & User 9893za
KX-T61610 New Features 9179za
KX-T61630 KX-T61631 Operating Instructions 5343ya
KX-T61630 Operating Instructions 5243wa
KX-T61650 Operating Instructions 5401za
Program Codes For KX-T 30810 - 61610 - 123211D All Version 3

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=8733.0--Thanks to twocvbloke for the link to wedophones

m1898

They both are 61610-3s. I have the manuals listed above. Not a big problem if I don't get it figured out, as I only use the 616 for my phones, I have no POTS.              Jim
"Oh lord it's hard to be humble, when you're perfect in every way. I can't wait to look in the mirror, I get better looking each day"

Phonesrfun

A dumb question, I know, but do you have the programming phone plugged into the first extension port?  Next dumb question.  If you are plugging it into the first extension, did you plug it in directly to the 616, and not through any external wiring?  If it is through external wiring, you might have a polarity or even a pair reversal going on.

-Bill G

m1898

Plugged into ext 11 per manual. Even made a reverse 4 wire cable, still a no-go.      Jim

Phonesrfun

Does a regular analog phone work on that port?  Does the 7130 work on other ports the way it should?

If both the above work, then maybe port 1 has something wrong with pair #2, which is the outer pair, which has the power and MX signal for the electronic phone.
-Bill G

m1898

Yes, a regular phone workes on it. No, the 7130 does not work on any other extension on this 616, but works just fine on the other 616.           Jim

m1898

Correction on above, the 7130 does work on ext 19-26. I hooked it to 26 and a rotary trimine to 11, and dialed 26, the 1730 rang. I then called 26 with 11, and it rang. Getting curiouser and curiouser.    Jim

poplar1

Sounds like ports 11-18 may have gotten UPSed--UPS likes to toss the packages around. Perhaps a broken wire or power supply problem?

m1898

All exts work with regular phone, though. It came FedEx, with no damage on box. It was packed with foam sheet.

Jim

poplar1

Some KSUs use one pair of each station port for talk and second pair for data. Problem on 2nd pair would still allow single line sets to work.

unbeldi

Since a classic telephone works on all ports, you have a problem with the digital pair, yellow and black. The center pair green/red is for analog voice and ringing.

I am not clear from your descriptions whether the proprietary Panasonic phone does not power up on all ports or only not on 11-18.

Measure the voltage across yellow and black, it should be about 13V on a version 3 unit, and about 15V on a version 2 unit. Yellow is the positive lead. This powers the phone. The measurement tells you whether the power supply is bad or whether the problem is on the main boards.  Once you got power established on all ports, one can dig for other problems more intricate.

The power supply may be very easy to repair. It's a simple one-sided foil board and the components are spread out and easy to remove.

m1898

The 7130 powers up on 19-26.     Jim

m1898

Will do the voltage test later. Thanks for the tip.     Jim