"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

PBX (TD816) terminology and features question

Started by mrbugsir, January 05, 2014, 05:26:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrbugsir

Greetings,

I was infected by the phone bug back in last November. I am sure you all have sympathy for me :o Being a network engineer by trade, the phones I collect not only have to work but be able to call each other --- I want to hear those marvelous bells, so I acquired a Panasonic KX-TD816 and a proprietary digital telephone (PDT). Everything works and I am very pleased. The PDT has so many buttons on it, I have attached each extension to a button so I can make each of my functioning phones ring on command. I have a collection of 3 so far, and a relatively modern Sony push button that is indestructible.

I have a few simple things to finish off its configuration that I hope you guys can help me out with. I have the Features and Programming guides, but I think I may be a little challenged on the terminology.

1 - Would like all incoming calls to ring (and route to?) only 2 extensions. One is a FAX machine like I have it now, and the other is this New York Telephone French repro from 1961 that my wife liked, which would notify her there is a FAX, or if it rings over and over, that means I have been trying to reach her and her cell phone is dead or charging. Ah, the joys of marriage.

2 - I would like certain extensions (probably the same 2) dial out directly without using 9.

That's it!

I think #1 requires extension groups possible, but I haven't figured out how to associate them to incoming calls. #2, I have no clue.

Your help would be greatly appreciated. I have been lurking in the forums for a few weeks and have been amazed at your knowledge and expertise.

twocvbloke

What you need is the programming manual, as you should be able to do all that you require just by assigning CO ports to specific extension ports, the manual is available here:

http://tinyurl.com/ohlqzkm

More manuals are available on this page:

http://www.wedophones.com/PanasonicManualsLead.htm
(scroll down to find the KX-TD816-1232 series manuals)

G-Man

Assigning a C.O. port will not accomplish what you are seeking.

I program the Pickup Dialing (Hotline) feature for credit card fax machines.

Just program the extension port to automatically dial "9" or "81" through "88" to access an outside line. Be sure to also program the proper wait time and any necessary pauses.

Contempra

hi and welcome in this forum mrbugsir..and... yes we have sympathy for you :D.....

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?action=search2

You can read the threads that could help you a little bit. :).. just write panasonic and you'l find a lot informations about that phone. BRAND sorry

G-Man

Searching for further information for the Panasonic  KX-TD816 system does not yield any information other than what has appeared in this thread.

Do you know of any further information that is specific to the system he has queried about that has not already been presented in this thread?

Quote from: Contempra on January 05, 2014, 07:38:50 AM
hi and welcome in this forum mrbugsir..and... yes we have sympathy for you :D.....

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?action=search2

You can read the threads that could help you a little bit. :).. just write panasonic and you'l find a lot informations about that phone.

Contempra

Calm down G-man... I just make an error... I have no further specific information but he will have some informations about the brand  that's it that's all .. I am involved as I can with the little knowledge I have. then the indulgence must be my friend I do not have your experience you know !.

poplar1

I believe the 2 features you are asking for are as follows:

Ringing only on 2 phones ("jack numbers"):
This is called "DIRECT IN LINES."  It's shown in 2.7 Extension Programming, [603] on pages 259-260. I think the sequence is this; if not, someone please correct it:

NEXT
* (for all extensions)
* (for all lines)
Select (scroll to "No Ring")
Store
End

Then
NEXT
Ext. no. you want to ring (01-16)
Line no. (01-08)
Select (scroll to Immed Ring, 1RNG, 3RNG, or 6RNG depending on how long a delay you want before ringing starts)
Store
End

The other feature you wanted is to draw outside dial tone on two extensions without having to dial an access code (such as "9.")
This feature for each extension is called "LINE PREFERENCE--OUTGOING." The options are:

Idle line
No Line
Prime Line
Prime Intercom Line

You would choose PRIME LINE for no access code needed.

This is programmed from each individual extension. It's shown in the user guide on page 50.

Initial Settings
[PROGRAM] [9] [9] to enter programming mode
Press 1 2 for first idle line or 1 3 and line number (01-08) for a particular line
Press the Autodial/Store button

http://www.wedophones.com/Manuals/Panasonic/KX-TD%20816%201232/KX-TD%20816%20-%201232%20User%20Manual%20Ver%206.pdf

However, page 169 of the Feature Guide suggests this feature may work only on proprietary phones. I'm not familiar with this system so I don't know if a single line phone on the same jack as a proprietary phone assumes the same features. If not, you may want to program some system speed dial numbers  for frequently dialed numbers.

See [001] System Speed Dialing Number Set on pages 30-31 of General Programming. There can be up to 500 speed dial numbers.You have to program a 9 before each phone number, but you don't have to program a pause after the 9, because this is inserted automatically. To use from a single line phone, dial * then 000-499.

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

G-Man

I will reiterate, for a non-proprietary telephone the only way  to automatically access an outside line is to use Pickup (Hotline) Dialing.

G-Man

I have attached an image of the instructions for programming Pickup Dialing.

You will need to use either a SLT-DTMF or proprietary instrument to program the feature.

In addition you may want/need to program the desired wait* and pause times. After programming a "9" or "81" through "88" you will be able to pick up the handset and receive outside dialtone.

*[204] Pickup Dialing Wait Time

G-Man

Please do not get excited. I merely asked what the additional information was that you indicated you had regarding the Panasonic digital system since the only information I could find is entirely useless since it is for their analogue systems. If you do not have any information that is relevant that of course is fine, simply say so.

Thank you for trying to help.

Quote from: Contempra on January 05, 2014, 08:29:45 AM
Calm down G-man... I just make an error... I have no further specific information but he will have some informations about the brand  that's it that's all .. I am involved as I can with the little knowledge I have. then the indulgence must be my friend I do not have your experience you know !.

Contempra

mrbugsir

Thanks for replying, everyone. Wow, what an amazing response, lots to look at and I will get right on it. But please don't fight....  ;D When you fight, you make the ringer on my AE40 stop working.

Doug Rose

Manners please....we have a new member. We normally behave much better than this. Almost  ;D I have a 616 manual. Not sure if it will help as I am not sure what a 816 is, hopefully 8 CO by 16 stations.  Welcome to the forum. I can guarantee better behavior next time.....sorry about this....Doug
Kidphone

G-Man

No one is fighting, only "eager" to help a new member!

The 616 is an analogue animal while the TD816 is digital; totally different.

mrbugsir

The 816 is "Digital Hybrid" --- I can plug either analog or digital phones into the ports, and if I wanted to do some creative wiring, I could put one digital and one analog phone on each port. The one I acquired also has an extension module, so the system is capable of 4 CO and 16 station ports. So far, it has worked great with my small, odd, and diverse collection of analog phones.

I followed the instructions poplar1 sent over, and now only one line rings as I configured it, thank you for that! I haven't tried the direct line out yet, but will this evening most certainly.

PS: I was joking about the fighting; your manners are excellent.

PPS: My future fun is when I rip everything out of my "telephone closet" underneath my stairs, screw a nice piece of plywood onto the wall, and reattach everything. This includes a wall mounted rack for the Ethernet equipment including a 110 panel, the PBX and its 66 blocks (still thinking how I should arrange that), a couple of wall mounted UPS, and eventually some sort of coax panel for the TV. Funny how I get one thing and it turns into a project to fix a bunch of other things.