"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Discussion of what was wrong with four-prong plugs, why they were eliminated

Started by bellsystem, August 04, 2017, 02:00:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

compubit

Quote from: Alex G. Bell on August 06, 2017, 05:37:27 PM
I was referring to the jacks, but now that you mention it, plug latches (keys) are a problem too.  I've replaced countless plugs because the latches broke off just from fatigue.  So called "live hinges" (thin plastic intended to flex) die!

Aside from failing in normal use, they are inherently prone to snagging on other cords and break off when re-routing cords.  The modular system was not well thought through in many respects. 

I've never seen ferrite rust.  I didn't think it was possible.

Same issue with Ethernet cables - as they usually end up in a jumbled mass at the office and trying to get one out can be painful (and pray you don't break the latch...)

I'm not sure the whole thing has rusted, but there's rust coloring on the inside of the plastic, which usually isn't a good sign....

J
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: compubit on August 06, 2017, 11:29:45 PM
Same issue with Ethernet cables - as they usually end up in a jumbled mass at the office and trying to get one out can be painful (and pray you don't break the latch...)

I'm not sure the whole thing has rusted, but there's rust coloring on the inside of the plastic, which usually isn't a good sign....

J
Later mfr patch cords have closed-end latches which don't snag on other cables.  You can buy snap-on boots in ~8 different colors from Jameco Electronics for the ones that don't have this feature.  The boot color codes the plug making tracing easier and traps the latch end under a recess which prevents it from snagging.

Victor Laszlo

Quote from: compubit on August 06, 2017, 11:29:45 PM
. . . they usually end up in a jumbled mass at the office . . .

because the office didn't hire the right guy to set up the patch panel in an industry-standard way.  Try looking at the sub-forum entitled "Ugly work" on any forum visited by professional electricians and you will see what I mean.  Try this one

http://sundance-communications.com/forum/ubbthreads.php

HarrySmith

Quote from: Victor Laszlo on August 07, 2017, 05:50:38 PM
because the office didn't hire the right guy to set up the patch panel in an industry-standard way.  Try looking at the sub-forum entitled "Ugly work" on any forum visited by professional electricians and you will see what I mean.  Try this one

http://sundance-communications.com/forum/ubbthreads.php

It looks like they have a similar situation as we do. I saw a lot of Photobucket third party hosting warnings!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

twocvbloke

I just had another thought bout the 4-prong plugs, unplug one and leave it sat on the floor with the pins facing upwards, that'd be quite painful if you accidentally stood on it barefoot, and speaking as a brit with our mains plugs with the pins at a 90 degree angle to the plug that like to face upwards when unplugged, it does hurt a lot, from experience, a few times throughout my life... :o

TelePlay

Quote from: HarrySmith on August 07, 2017, 06:05:47 PM
It looks like they have a similar situation as we do. I saw a lot of Photobucket third party hosting warnings!

Like this one . . . ? One of many in most of the boards. For Sale is no big deal but if in a tech help boards it a disaster.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=6952.0

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: twocvbloke on August 07, 2017, 06:09:44 PM
I just had another thought bout the 4-prong plugs, unplug one and leave it sat on the floor with the pins facing upwards, that'd be quite painful if you accidentally stood on it barefoot, and speaking as a brit with our mains plugs with the pins at a 90 degree angle to the plug that like to face upwards when unplugged, it does hurt a lot, from experience, a few times throughout my life... :o
A word to the wise perhaps but not likely a consideration in the Bell System's calculus on adopting modular plugs. 

On further thought, I'm not even certain that modular plugs actually superseded 4-prong plugs in applications where the customer intended to frequently move the phone between locations.  Perhaps 4-prong plugs were retained in those situations, using the 4-pin to modular adapters.  Perhaps others can shed light on that.

19and41

Imagine trying to make up a connection system for the wall phones in the manner of the modular connectors using the full size 4 pin connectors.  That consideration would have had a severe limitation in the design of the smaller Trimline type phones that came along with the advent of modular wiring connections.  I think it was practicality in miniaturization as much as cost in coming up with that style connector. There weren't too many similarly constructed systems in use in any other industry.  Cheap as it is, it is truly simple and elegant.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke