News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Help Needed in Deciding to Pursue or Not... Large lot of telephones and parts

Started by Nick in Manitou, March 26, 2018, 09:06:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Payphone installer

I have done what you are about to do many times part  out and price it to sell it's not about passion, it's about money once you committ. Keep the few pieces you want and move the rest. Use the money to buy higher end stuff. Being in love with it will cause you to always end low end stuff.

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Payphone installer on March 29, 2018, 06:50:30 PM
I have done what you are about to do many times part  out and price it to sell it's not about passion, it's about money once you committ. Keep the few pieces you want and move the rest. Use the money to buy higher end stuff. Being in love with it will cause you to always end low end stuff.

Well Said.
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

oldguy

Gary

FABphones

Crikey, those phones may be common over there but here in the UK (and France) we just never/seldom come across the majority of the phones pictured in that room. I would just LOVE to add some of them to my collection.

Well found. It will be a lot of work going through the finds, but enjoyable work.   :)
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Nick in Manitou

Thanks for all the responses!

Now going a little nuts trying to figure out where to put them when I pick them up on Monday. (We are going away for the weekend and there is too much stuff to fit in our garage!) I am checking with neighbors about trying to borrow/rent some garage space.

I appreciate the reminders about not falling in love with the stuff and pricing it to sell.

Hey, FabPhones, my wife is now working for a British company...perhaps if she has to go to the home office I could fill her suitcase with a few old phones!

Nick

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

LarryInMichigan

Nick in Manitou

Sorry for the long silence...still busy almost every day going over to the seller's place, packing up some things and bringing them back to my place to stuff into the garage.

I have not had any luck finding a space to rent nearby, so I am trying to see if I can turn our garage into an effective storage/work space until I build in our small back yard.

There is a lot of stuff! The seller was working for a small, independent telephone store at one point so there are a number of new parts for regular, modern phones. He also assembled new candlestick style phones for selling to people who wanted those. I will be trying to inventory, photograph and sell those items pretty quickly as they take up room and I don't have much interest in them.

With regard to the price I paid for the lot, I hesitate to get specific as there were at least a couple other folks in the collecting community (at least one on this forum) who had seen the lot and negotiated a bit with the seller. I will say that I was able to get the price down some, but not a whole lot.

The seller has been very generous with his time assisting in the packing and a couple times when I have asked whether a specific type of item was in the lot, he has taken items he had inside the house that he had intended to keep and added them to what he was passing on to me.

Once the whole lot is here and I start to go through it in an attempt to organize it, should I post some photos of interesting items or parts that I need assistance in identifying in this thread, or elsewhere?

Nick

RB

Don't know, but would suspect a new post with particular questions, or for sale adds would be easiest for folks to assist???

HarrySmith

I think a post or two or fourteen here about the entire haul (with lots of pictures!) would be good to finalize this topic. Any questions on individual items should probably haver their own topics in the appropriate boards. Items for sale or trade should go in the classifieds.

JMO - your mileage may vary.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

AE_Collector

Yes in the past I think we've found that keeping a topic together in one place works out better than bits and pieces scattered around in an attempt to have them on the most appropriate board each time. No problem posting pictures for "show and tell" or "what is this?" here in this topic.

Similar to the topic started by wds here:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=18947.0

Terry

FABphones

Re price paid, I think shhhhhhh! - keep us guessing  ;)

You could store that lot in one of our barns 5 times over, offer would be there if we were in the same country.

And yes, if your wife ever visits the UK re her job, please bring phones - and Twinkies!

I would love to be your first customer, but you are across the pond.  :(
Maybe a large postal box...  :)

AE_Collector

FABphones

Quote from: AE_Collector on April 11, 2018, 02:15:19 AM
Maybe try the new Extra Large Flat Rate Box?

:D  :D  :D

- - - - - -

They convert those in the UK for people to  live in. They stack them up and have exterior stairs leading up to the various levels. One room bedsits. Not even sure they are as large as the one in your pic.

Apol o.p. I'm off topic.

kleenax

Quote from: AE_Collector on April 11, 2018, 02:15:19 AM
Maybe try the new Extra Large Flat Rate Box?
Ironic! Just yesterday, my friend who lives about 1 hour north of me deals in antiques and stuff, JUST bought one of these 40' containers to use as a storage shed next to his garage! Water-tight, VERY secure, and it cost him exactly $2,000 DELIVERED!  If you haven't seen the insides of one of these shipping containers, they are WAY cool! They have a 2" thick hardwood floor (like bowling alley), and they are watertight with double-gaskets around the doors.
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC