News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE (Type 41?) handset Help

Started by monophone_lover, April 06, 2018, 12:21:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

monophone_lover

I bought This 15 may be 17 years ago ... with The optimistic thought OF findings The base.... The color or pattern is hard tao explain—- hammerd in what looks Like gold effect.... hall OF ME thinks The color si brown but The better part OF ME Knows its black.

Any info WOuld be helpfull

Rob
Rob
ATCA # 4057

wds

Handset looks painted, and the paint is chipping off giving it that hammered look.  Those bands are interesting though - a little different than the usual chrome banded handset.  There are fewer grooves on your chrome bands.
Dave

Pourme

~

I will agree with the part of you that believes it is black. Others may or may not agree with me in saying that the most acceptable results you can achieve on that finish will come through using sandpaper. Some finishes can only be successfully restored with sanding, OMHO this is one of those. The process is detailed several times in the forum, beginning with 600 or so graduating to 2,000, topped off with polishing. The good news is the handset is small and easy to sand, shouldn't take more than a hour to do & will look close to new when finished!

Benny
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Pourme

Quote from: wds on April 06, 2018, 12:40:50 PM
Handset looks painted, and the paint is chipping off giving it that hammered look.  Those bands are interesting though - a little different than the usual chrome banded handset.  There are fewer grooves on your chrome bands.

I have some handsets that have that appearance that haven't been painted. Years of exposure, contact with skin oils and natural aging can result in that odd look also.

I didn't notice the bands until you pointed it out. You are right, mine has 4 thinner groves in each band.

Benny
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

rdelius

Some of the Navy handsets have a "lumpier" filler like chopped up cloth and shiny resin .These handsets will not polish out the same as the common ones

monophone_lover

Thanks yes The bands are differnt.... I have to get better photos as I Don't Think it's painted.... however IM No expert and Just want to Help Cross everything off..

Thanks

Rob
Rob
ATCA # 4057

kleenax

Looks a lot like this type 41 handset, with all of those swirls, except a different color. No, not one of mine; I looked it over well, and it appears original.
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

wds

Well you can always rub some paint stripper on it and see what happens.  Stripper won't hurt the bakelite.
Dave

stub

monophone_lover ,
             As rdelius stated , some of the Navy sets had this type of finish . Here's one with brown over black and different bands . The 2nd one belongs to Nick in Manitou and shows more wear on the handset . I think I have one somewhere in a box that is black like yours but can't remember which bands it has . stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

monophone_lover

Stub,

Very thank full. That's the handset...this forum is awesome for information.

Thanks all

Rob
Rob
ATCA # 4057

monophone_lover

Quote from: kleenax on April 07, 2018, 06:33:49 PM
Looks a lot like this type 41 handset, with all of those swirls, except a different color. No, not one of mine; I looked it over well, and it appears original.

Ray

What is the photo of the AE it looks intriguing is it your creation?
Rob
ATCA # 4057

kleenax

Quote from: monophone_lover on April 08, 2018, 08:16:25 AM
Ray

What is the photo of the AE it looks intriguing is it your creation?
As far as I know, it is an original. No, it is not one of my creations; belongs to a friend of mine.
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

AE_Collector

Yes, very impressive detective work stub!

So as Robby said, if these Bakelite handsets were possibly made a little differently for the military likely to make them "tougher" and if this made the Bakelite not able to be as shiny and black, maybe they were painted with some sort of finish from the factory. Any sort of applied finish seems a poor choice for a handset that is forcefully put and held "on hook"on a phone designed to not allow the handset to inadvertently go off hook. But...I guess functionality rather than looks was really the driving force.

Terry