News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Robs Collection

Started by monophone_lover, April 20, 2018, 08:29:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AE_Collector

Yes, it is great to see them all together here in one topic Robert! Absolutely amazing to see them all.

Yes most shown here are 50's not 35's, the 35 is very similar to the 50 but has no side vents and has the older type 38 handset rather than the newer type 41. The 34 and 35 were first and then they were redesigned into the 40 and the 50.

The milti-line 40 is the AE 47, it has Line/hold buttons for two lines and the little lift up button by the cradle can be optioned for a 3rd Line or exclusion or a push button/buzzer circuit. These 47's in colours just amaze me!

I've been waiting to see the one without the side indents, thanks for including it. In all likelihood this was the very earliest 40 design with no way to conveniently carry the phone around. The carry bar would have been added to this one later. Side indents were first added so your fingers had something to grip into if carrying the base by pinching it sideways between fingers and thumb. Then came the Buttlers handle and finally the more familiar solid carry bar. At least, this is all my take in the progression. The only other 40 without indents that I have seen a picture of is an ivory 40 that I believe is in Gary Goffs collection.

Terry

monophone_lover

Quote from: HarrySmith on April 20, 2018, 01:32:33 PM
Is the Clear 40 & 50 original AE or are they Ray's?

Harry.

Thank you for your kind words, regarding the clear telephones... i believe the photos show a clear 302 and a clear 50. these two phones are among my most precious. By far the most rare.

the Clear 302 is a retirement set.  It is made of the clear Lucite material this is the first one I have ever seen like that, I have seen the older type tenite material in fact the previous owner of the phone has anther in the older material. It is beyond a doubt breathtaking. it has black plungers the rest is completely transparent.

The clear 50 is ORGINAL it is the only one I have ever seen or heard of. Though rumors abound of anther floating around but until today this is the only specimen I know is around. I was told (and there are much more knowledgeable members on this forum then i) these were made for trade shows and perhaps as gifts for executives' which I think this one is I could be wrong though about its implementation.

I have seen allot of clear 40's but never a 50. I have a damaged clear 40 but it is way much damage to be put on display.  I was offered to buy a clear 40 perhaps 18 or 20 years ago but at the time I was un able to afford it I did buy allot of colors off him however the clear was out of my budget at them time. 

One thing I learned and this may be the hardest part for collectors especially new ones to understand. that eventually I will obtain one. it take long as we all know these types pf phones are usually held in large complete collections and rarely go to market.. maybe once or twice a year well see a fresh colored monphone pop online but its over the top prices are a turn off.

I know I have been looking for a maroon 40 for almost 20 years. I've heard of one in upstate new York and know of one in the med west. but that's it.. I find maroon to be the hardest to obtain.

In the 40 section I have all the colors except maroon. as mentioned above.

Thanks

Rob
Rob
ATCA # 4057

monophone_lover

Quote from: AE_Collector on April 20, 2018, 01:35:19 PM
Yes, it is great to see them all together here in one topic Robert! Absolutely amazing to see them all.

Yes most shown here are 50's not 35's, the 35 is very similar to the 50 but has no side vents and has the older type 38 handset rather than the newer type 41. The 34 and 35 were first and then they were redesigned into the 40 and the 50.

The milti-line 40 is the AE 47, it has Line/hold buttons for two lines and the little lift up button by the cradle can be optioned for a 3rd Line or exclusion or a push button/buzzer circuit. These 47's in colours just amaze me!

I've been waiting to see the one without the side indents, thanks for including it. In all likelihood this was the very earliest 40 design with no way to conveniently carry the phone around. The carry bar would have been added to this one later. Side indents were first added so your fingers had something to grip into if carrying the base by pinching it sideways between fingers and thumb. Then came the Buttlers handle and finally the more familiar solid carry bar. At least, this is all my take in the progression. The only other 40 without indents that I have seen a picture of is an ivory 40 that I believe is in Gary Goffs collection.

Terry

Terry

the monophone man!!!! thanks bro that means allot to me... yes i only seen one in black and the one in garys collection he also has a walnut 50 something that has escaped me as well.

Rob

Rob
ATCA # 4057

monophone_lover

Quote from: Doug Rose on April 20, 2018, 10:13:52 AM
WOW!!! Rob what a fantastic collection. Love those AE35s....OUTSTANDING!!!....Doug

Thanks Doug.. it took a while... some i got lucky others i paid dearly.....:-)
Rob
ATCA # 4057

Nick in Manitou

JorgeAmely

Where can I buy tickets for the museum? I need two, make it three: stub, Terry and I haven't had an AE fix in a while.
Jorge

monophone_lover

Quote from: JorgeAmely on April 21, 2018, 12:54:17 AM
Where can I buy tickets for the museum? I need two, make it three: stub, Terry and I haven't had an AE fix in a while.

lol... i see if i can pull out something but i got say... those are my big guns... tough getting these colors..  allot of collectors wont let them go.. but if your young enough they will come up...
Rob
ATCA # 4057

HarrySmith

That Clear 50 is amazing! I have bever seen or heard of one before. You are a lucky man to have it.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Pourme

~

This collection continues to blow my mind! Most impressive, Rob.

Benny
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

AE_Collector

I would think an original clear 50 would be very rare. Great find! Was it found in the US or the Phillipines?

Seems crazy that they went ahead and put the circuit diagram in it in the usual fashion of gluing it inside the front cover! But it probably went down the assembly line to be built and was carefully completed just like any other black or solid coloured one. I think I would have tucked it under the Ringer or somewhere less conspicuous!

Terry

monophone_lover

Quote from: AE_Collector on April 21, 2018, 11:27:31 AM
I would think an original clear 50 would be very rare. Great find! Was it found in the US or the Phillipines?

Seems crazy that they went ahead and put the circuit diagram in it in the usual fashion of gluing it inside the front cover! But it probably went down the assembly line to be built and was carefully completed just like any other black or solid coloured one. I think I would have tucked it under the Ringer or somewhere less conspicuous!

Terry

Thank you guys for you encouragement.

Terry,

Good questions. This phone was bought in America. I bought it off of a Well-respected long time collector. In a private transaction. How long he owned it or where he got it from I did not ask, as I was speechless the whole time, even today when I look at it it is just fascinating.

There is small damage very slight looks like stress cracks or chips the funny thing is it in the inside!!!!

Terry sharp eye I we did speak of the stamp and diagram in center. Both of us were stumped. It is in original condition looks like it was perhaps just on display Maybe in an Executive's office?

Rob
Rob
ATCA # 4057

monophone_lover

terry

take a look... its internal.... unknown

Rob
Rob
ATCA # 4057

AE_Collector

Oh, I hadn't noticed the Oronge Monophone stamp, just the paper diagram! They could have put more effort into centring the Oronge stamp. I guess it best to keep as is since it isn't on the Telephone Show circuit!

All indications are that it is just another AE50 that happens to be in "clear". If it were made to be a "show piece" rather than a "see through AE50" it would seem more likely that the paper label, Oronge stamps and vent grill fabric may have been left off.

How about stamps on the outside of the baseplate...usually in the wire Chanel in the back? And while the camera is out, are codes stamped into the top of the wiring diagram?

Terry

Babybearjs

hey, Rob! I don't see any black AE 50's..... also, if you make a backboard for your AE 50's you can mount a #228 modular adapter on it to make it usable... beautiful phones! love your collection....
John

WEBellSystemChristian

Wow, what a beautiful collection! You managed to compress the most valuable of the top tier collectible phones onto one shelving unit! Make sure it doesn't fall over! :o

That clear 50 is gorgeous!
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford