News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

a key system is always helpful!

Started by Babybearjs, December 06, 2018, 03:19:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

;D thought I'd throw this one at you all... I'm running a small 6A key system in my house and find the system very versatile! I opted in for line voltages at the actual phone jack... I have 10 and 18VAC power available at all stations and have discovered that I can run a 24V relay from the stations... so I did... I bought a console Electric Fireplace this last fall and discovered the unit is either on, or off... there was no thermostat on the unit. so, I added one. I added a 24V fan relay to the unit and tied in the heating elements to the relay. then added a wall thermostat and wired it up. I needed some low voltage and one of my extensions was sitting on the console... so... I used the 18 Volt tap to power the relay... works great! until the time comes to unplug the phone! (or the 2 amp fuse blows on the power supply!) it's funny how versatile a key system can be when options are added for future use!   
John

RB

Cool thing John.
Options, and versatility...in one package.

Key2871

I would wonder if that's taxing to circuit or power unit on the system running a higher draw than what would be the norm .
You don't know what that could do to the system.
If you knew the amp, miliamp draw and could figure that with what's the max before causing trouble.. that would be safer.
Jmo, I'm always thinking safe versus otherwise.
KEN

Babybearjs

right now, the system requires 2AMP fuses on all connections. thats what I have. the 18VAC is basically for the intercom signalling circuit and is not really being used right now. even though I have the station buzzers all assigned, they are only rung when called. the fireplace relay only is used at night and with the thermostat on it, is regulated. so, it will cut in and out as needed and is shut off at bedtime.
John