News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Northern Electric Dial

Started by Doug Rose, July 26, 2019, 09:21:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I was very fortunate to find an early Northern Electric Dial in wonderful condition. Two cracks in the porcelain plate, but immaculate otherwise.

I am a dial freak and this was #2 on my want list after a WE #1 and that is just a dream. Then again, I thought this was only a dream  8)

I am looking see see what this went on. A B1 or a stick. Any one with pictures of this Dial on a phone, I would appreciate seeing them.

If anyone has a Northern Stick for sale or trade that is black or nickel, I would be interested...Doug
Kidphone

LarryInMichigan

I saw that listing.  Doug caught it very quickly.  It was quite a bargain.

Larry

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Porcelain-Rotary-Telephone-Dial-With-Instructions-1927-Northern-Electric-Parts-/123850014823

Seller Description: 

"Rotary porcelain dial in nice overall condition. The interesting feature with this vintage phone part is the call operating instructions found on the front of the dial.

The dial function works nicely though not tested beyond turning the mechanical dial. The rest of this assembly appears to be brass and painted steel. Some thin, hairline cracks in the area between the digits 5 & 6 ( please see last photo ). Two patent dates appear on the front of the finger dial - 1920, 1927. This is a great part to replace or repair your antique/ vintage telephone. Dial diameter is approximately 2 3/4" ( 6.985 cm )."

Doug Rose

Thanks Larry.....I saw it when it had just come on....I am thrilled with it...Doug
Kidphone

tubaman

Great find - I too have a thing for dials and am always looking for something unusual or different.
:)

Doug Rose

I receive the Northern Dial yesterday, I do not think it was ever used. Dial spins and returns as it should.

My question is: it's a NE dial, but follows an AE style with the zero at 6 o'clock. I had always assumed  8) that WE and NE were the same but this dial shows otherwise. I know NE had some different styles of phones than WE, handsets as well but the dials always had the WE format.

When did NE go to the WE dial style?

Pics from a NE catalog.

Any info is greatly appreciated....Doug
Kidphone

Stubbypylon

Doug,

the NE N1 dials I believe were AE licensed.  They were found on compact wood wall phones, candlesticks and a single box wood wall phone (317 AP). I've attached some pictures of phones I have (except the 317AP).

=====

( Image EXIF data removed, then rotated and re-attached by a Global Moderator )

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=19080.0
Craig Stanowski

Doug Rose

Beautiful phones! Thanks for the info, it is appreciated....Doug
Kidphone

Stubbypylon

Doug,

Also NE went from the N1 (with multiple iterations up to about version 15 I think) to the #4.  I do have an N1 on a B1 base that appears to have always been that way, however NE never made a B1 and the one I have is a WE B1 and a NE E1 handset. I don't know if NE used WE parts at some point.
Craig Stanowski

Doug Rose

Craig...funny you should say that, as I do not have a NE dial stick, I planned on doing the same thing, mounting it on a B1. I'd love to see a picture of yours.

So NE never made a #2? Straight from the NC to a #4. Great info....many thanks....Doug
Kidphone

Jack Ryan

Quote from: Doug Rose on August 02, 2019, 02:10:53 PM
So NE never made a #2? Straight from the NC to a #4. Great info....many thanks....Doug

And the NE No 4 had an improved switch pile so although compatible, it was different from the WE No 4.

NE didn't wait for WE before getting into auto. It had an agreement with AE to make its own series circuit "step candlestick" and residence set (correct way up - transmitter on top). See Cat 4

I believe NE's N dials covered the 1911 and 1918 type Mercedes dials and the Type 23 dial. Not from the early date though.

Jack

Doug Rose

Many thanks Jack...more good info. I love this dial....Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

I had a very bad paint, corroded B1 that I stripped a few years back. Wire brush on drill made it displayable. This is what a B1 looks like completely stripped. No paint on it.

Now it has the NC on it. Until I find a NE stick, this is how it will display....Doug
Kidphone

Jim Stettler

The base looks black, Is it just dark stripped metal?
I have noticed when the B and D mountings are stripped, that there are more color differences than I would expect.
I think this set has a nice look.
JMO,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Doug Rose

Thanks Jim...base is like a dark gray, no paint on it. This was a really bad condition set, with a lot of oxidation.....  that almost got junked. ,,,Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

I finally got my Northern Dial stick at Brimfield, I had the dial on a B1 as I had no where to put it.

I learned that if it has two rivets, and no plaque it it a Northern Transmitter plate.

Beautiful marked transmitter cup. Base is also raised a bit more than a WE.

Receiver is a 706A the cap looks like a transmitter cap from a 302 but a standard 706A cap does not fit, so I am guessing this is correct.

Very happy to finally get this one of off my Want List....Doug
Kidphone