News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Subset cable for 233 type payphones

Started by mentalstampede, August 29, 2019, 03:33:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mentalstampede

Hey guys, I'm getting ready to wire up my shiny new NE233QF to a 685A subset, and I was just wondering what you all were using for subset cable with all of yours. It looks like i need six conductors from the phone to the subset, but the diagrams I have seem to show green and red colored wires being used twice. I guess I could use two separate pieces of 4 conductor station wire, but it'll be a neater looking installation with a single piece of cable.
My name is Kenn, and I like telephones.

"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something." --Robert Heinlein

Key2871

I've seen two quads used to connect the subset around here in the past.
KEN

Jim Stettler

I would use 4 pair to make it work. You can slide a shoestring over the cable to make it appear cloth covered.
As time goes on you will be able to find a better cable.
JMO,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Stan S

How about taking a cat5 internet patch cable and cutting off the connectors. Everybody has a few of those from old modems laying around. Has 7 wires.
Stan S.

mentalstampede

Good thought. I actually have a spool of unterminated bulk cat5E around somewhere.

Quote from: Stan S on August 29, 2019, 09:43:02 PM
How about taking a cat5 internet patch cable and cutting off the connectors. Everybody has a few of those from old modems laying around. Has 7 wires.
Stan S.
My name is Kenn, and I like telephones.

"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something." --Robert Heinlein