"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Broken princess

Started by AT2796, March 19, 2020, 05:16:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AT2796

Hello everyone!
I recently scored this 1969 princess on eBay, bet despite the sellers careful packing it still arrived broken.
It has some slight discoloring that I thought I would try to recover but more concerning is the broken bits. See  photos.
I would gladly hear your advice on this repair
Acetone, super glue or model glue?
Andy

HarrySmith

Is 1969 the date on the bottom? The case is clearly marked 72. The post will be an easy fix with superglue. I have done that on phones before. The other is a tough break, harvesting some bits of plastic from inside to fill in will be needed. I would superglue the broken pieces in as best as possible, then melt some plastic in acetone to fill in the repair. After sanding should be virtually invisible repair.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

paul-f

Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

AT2796

Thank you both,

Harry, the base is dated 69 as well as the handset. I haven't gone through all the innards yet, maybe this weekend while trying my hand at plastic repair!
Andy

HarrySmith

Cool. The stamp is clearly visible in your photo.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

AT2796

Well Harry,
I never looked closely after receiving it damaged. But as you pointed out it is '72. The base is dated '69 as well as the handset and ringer, but the dial and shell are '72!
Cool, I was born in 69 and my little brother was born in 72 so I've got the best of both worlds!
BTW there is a sticker on the bottom that says 6 72 so I reckon it was rehabbed in 72?

I have superglued the jigsaw puzzle back into place, now I will read up on cleaning and polishing the repair.

Maybe Ill start a new thread about the cleanup and rehab project. I tested it before disassembly and it transmits receives and dials like a champ, but doesn't ring yet. I'll get to that on re assembly.
Andy

HarrySmith

Cool, both dates work for you. Definitely had a refurb in 72. Yes, start a thread on the repair with lots of pictures.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"