"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

75 Z candlestick receiver element repair... need info

Started by Darkstar2006, January 09, 2023, 08:11:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darkstar2006

Story
bought 75 z receiver element from ebay cheap with no guarantee that it works. It didn't. One of the element coils is bad.
I figured its junk so I'll rip it apart and try to rebuild it. If I can fix it, I will post it, with pictures, on the "restoration" thread.

The information I need is:
the "good" coil measures about 43 ohs. is that correct?   
Why do people with cell phones use "old phone" as their ring tone?

-Dave S.

FABphones

Interesting project.

Before and after photos please.

:)
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

HarrySmith

Yes, pictures are always good. I have no idea what a 75 Z element is?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

poplar1

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Darkstar2006

Yes a WE 143 or 144 type receiver, which I bought in a box of junk. Unfortunately, when the box-o-junk arrived the empty receiver shell had a cracked Kellogg cap on it, so I thought it was a Kellogg receiver. I then bought a Kellogg element which, of course didn't fit. When I cleaned up the shell, I noticed paten dates on top, and realized it was a Western Electric 143 or 144. Thats when this madness started. After I bought the 75 Z and found it to be bad, I tried to find the Info I needed somewhere here on the forum. I searched using a bunch of different parameters. I was sure someone had attempted to repair one of these but found no info. So that is why I was looking for the ohm info. It will give me a starting point on how much wire and the size I am going to need. If 42-43 ohms is correct then I am going to have to wrap 40+ feet of #40 enameled copper magnet wire around the insulator core.
Again, when I find the info I will post the process and the pictures of what I did, (and if I would do it again)if successful, on the "restoration" thread. 

-Dave S.

TelePlay

Quote from: HarrySmith on January 09, 2023, 01:40:08 PMYes, pictures are always good. I have no idea what a 75 Z element is?

Isn't the 75Z a late 60's Datsun? I can't picture it in my head either.

Darkstar2006

opps, never mind. i forgot that i had a copy of Ralph Meyer book. The info i needed is on pg 29

-Dave S.

TelePlay

Quote from: Darkstar2006 on January 09, 2023, 08:38:50 PMopps, never mind. i forgot that i had a copy of Ralph Meyer book. The info i needed is on pg 29

Can you scan and post that page here so we all know what you were talking about?  I suspect than most of the members don't have a copy of that book, and I'm not sure where mine is right now (lost in a move).

countryman

Darkstar2006

THIS IS THE TABLE I FOUND IN RALPH'S BOOK

-Dave S.

G-Man

75 Ohms (+/- nominal)