News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Voice over Internet Protocol (VoiP) phone service and pulse dialing

Started by Konrad, January 07, 2009, 12:48:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marcelo L.

Here's a better clip of my setup. The sound quality in the other clip did not do it justice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PRWIKjnrM4

curtjr4

Hey there everybody,

I am somewhat stuck right now. I have a model 554 hanging on my wall, and I am looking at getting a model 500 as well. If I did this, would it be possible to hook up the DialGizmo into my AT&T UVerse modem and have it convert multiple phones? Something like this (excuse my awful art. Gotta love MSPaint)...

MrKenmore

Hi everyone!  This is my first post.  I am so happy to discover other vintage phone enthusiasts. 

I have VOIP using Viatalk.  I have a big variety of WE phones throughout the house.  I have all the phones go through a Mitel Smart-1 dialer.  You can program the unit to do many things.  When the phone goes off hook, the Mitel listens for the touch tone or rotary pulse dialing.  Once it hears what it needs, it then translates this to touch tone and sends it (redials it) to the VOIP adapter.  With the unit, you can also program speed dials.  For example, 1122 or *22 is programmed speed dial.  This makes like VERY easy with the rotaries. 

I have all my ringers disconnected with the exception of a 554, trimline wall mount and a Sculptura.  The VOIP adapter rings the three phones without any problems.

Good luck!

lp154002

Hi guys. My first post, so please be gentle  ;D

I'm a CLEC engineer, so I get free VoIP service from my company. One of the ATAs we utilize even supports pulse dialing--an Innomedia 6328. The problem, of course, is the lack of # and *. I'm on a lot of conference calls throughout the week, and # is vital to entering bridge IDs and joining calls in progress.

I ended up buying a Dialgizmo to get around this, but I'm running into a problem. The two rotary phones that I use on a regular basis, a plain WE500C/D and a WE50A1 (a speaker/conference phone with a Trimline handset) do not work with the Dialgizmo for # and *. To activate # on a Dialgizmo, you pull a 1 but leave your finger at the fingerstop for two seconds, then release. When I do this on either of the WECo phones, it still just dials "1". My AE21 works perfectly with the DG.

The problem appears to be that the WECo dials are not on the line until they start pulsing, so the Dialgizmo has no idea how long I have held the dial down. I found this with the Trimline handset as I can dial a digit and hold at the fingerstop all day; it won't break dial tone until I release. I've searched the forum and found other references to that.

I've built the stand-alone DTMF pad here (http://atcaonline.com/ttpad.html) and it works great, but as it requires modifying the wiring on the 500's network, I'd rather not have to settle for that--the phone won't get dial tone unless the TT pad is always wired to it.

The Rotatone looks good, but I'd like to have one solution that I can plug straight into the ATA then feed the house wiring.

Does anyone have any suggestions for making a WECo dial behave like an AE dial? I'd rather not have to request a refund for a device that I could make work with a little tinkering.

Thanks!

Grumpy99705

My teleco just went digital a couple years ago. they are the major cable tv provider in the area, as well as internet and were trying to get off of leashed lines.
So many miles of fiber later, my TV, internet, and phone all come in on the same coax.
They gave me an Arris Touchstone telephony modem.
I asked the installer if it would accept pulse dialing, he had no clue.
A call to customer support got the same answer.
So I plugged in my Kellogg 1000 and called customer support back
worked like a champ, and shocked the hell outta the service guys.
But at least they know now
Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading - Thomas Jefferson

stub

lp154002,
               Hi and welcome to the CRP Forum. I used the DTMF keypad also but didn't want to modify my phones network either. You can wire the keypad in between the ATA and the phone . Just put it in series with one side of the line in wire, won't matter which color, from ATA going to the telephone. The way you have your phone now shows it will work. This just keeps you from having to change wires on the network of your phone. I put a RJ11 surface mount mod. jack on mine and a RJ11 plug on a pig tail for line in wire. Now I can add any phone with a mod. plug on it .
               I hooked this one on a WE 500 C/D   5-53 phone tonight and it works just fine. Here's the pic of mine. hope this helps.  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

lp154002

Quote from: stub on January 24, 2012, 05:19:35 AM
lp154002,
                Hi and welcome to the CRP Forum. I used the DTMF keypad also but didn't want to modify my phones network either. You can wire the keypad in between the ATA and the phone . Just put it in series with the line wire, won't matter which color, from ATA going to the telephone. The way you have your phone now shows it will work. This just keeps you from having to change wires on the network of your phone. I put a RJ11 surface mount mod. jack on mine and a RJ11 plug on a pig tail for line in wire. Now I can add any phone with a mod. plug on it .
                I hooked this one on a WE 500 C/D   5-53 phone tonight and it works just fine. Here's the pic of mine. hope this helps.  stub

stub,

While this is a pretty simple design, doesn't it interfere with the operation of the hookswitch? When I originally built the pad, I had hooked it directly to L1 and L2 on the 500's network (with no other changes) and I could no longer hang up because the pad was holding the line open. Wouldn't your design cause the same issue, or am I missing something?

I appreciate the reply! :)

stub

lp154002,
               Put pad across L 2 only. Take L 2 into one side of the pad and take pad out to L2 of the phone line in.With pad across L1 and L2 both, it will hold the line open.  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

stub

lp154002,
               Here's how I did mine.  Hope  this helps.  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

lp154002

Ah, I get it! I guess I missed your original line about being in series on one side only. I'll throw this together tonight and see what happens.

Thanks!

stub

lp154002 ,
                Did you get it to work?  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

lp154002

Quote from: stub on January 26, 2012, 12:59:22 PM
lp154002 ,
                Did you get it to work?  stub

Sorry for the late reply--work has been pretty busy lately. I did indeed get it to work! I was having some polarity issues in the beginning, but I got them sorted out.

Thank you so much for your help.

AE_Collector

Quote from: curtjr4 on December 27, 2011, 02:17:20 PM
Hey there everybody,

I have a model 554 hanging on my wall, and I am looking at getting a model 500 as well. If I did this, would it be possible to hook up the DialGizmo into my AT&T UVerse modem and have it convert multiple phones?

I'm not certain what a "Dial Gizmo" is but I'm assuming it converts dial pulses into DTMF touch tones? If so, I can't imagine why every phone and or phone jack in your house can't go through the Dial Gizmo heading for your Uverse modem. Obviously if one phone were dialing and someone picked up the other extension it would mess up the dial pulses but that happens with dial pulse phones on CO based phone lines as well.

Terry

rtp129495

I have one of these and I use it with my verizon home phone connect for my second number. It works really well. I still have POTS line, but I wanted a number to call the other phones in the interim till i get a 1a2key OR a PBX. I recommend it, it can be hooked in and many phones use it! Put it at the ATA and plug the line into it. it will work!

poplar1

Quote from: lp154002 on January 23, 2012, 09:39:06 PM
Hi guys. My first post, so please be gentle  ;D

I'm a CLEC engineer, so I get free VoIP service from my company. One of the ATAs we utilize even supports pulse dialing--an Innomedia 6328. The problem, of course, is the lack of # and *. I'm on a lot of conference calls throughout the week, and # is vital to entering bridge IDs and joining calls in progress.

I ended up buying a Dialgizmo to get around this, but I'm running into a problem. The two rotary phones that I use on a regular basis, a plain WE500C/D and a WE50A1 (a speaker/conference phone with a Trimline handset) do not work with the Dialgizmo for # and *. To activate # on a Dialgizmo, you pull a 1 but leave your finger at the fingerstop for two seconds, then release. When I do this on either of the WECo phones, it still just dials "1". My AE21 works perfectly with the DG.
The problem appears to be that the WECo dials are not on the line until they start pulsing, so the Dialgizmo has no idea how long I have held the dial down. I found this with the Trimline handset as I can dial a digit and hold at the fingerstop all day; it won't break dial tone until I release. I've searched the forum and found other references to that.

I've built the stand-alone DTMF pad here (http://atcaonline.com/ttpad.html) and it works great, but as it requires modifying the wiring on the 500's network, I'd rather not have to settle for that--the phone won't get dial tone unless the TT pad is always wired to it.

The Rotatone looks good, but I'd like to have one solution that I can plug straight into the ATA then feed the house wiring.

Does anyone have any suggestions for making a WECo dial behave like an AE dial? I'd rather not have to request a refund for a device that I could make work with a little tinkering.

Thanks!

I think it's dsk who suggested rewiring a WE 500 set by using the off-normal contacts (white dial leads) to short the entire phone (as in AE 40s and WE 302s) rather than just the receiver. The 10A dial on a Trimline doesn't have the additional contacts since *most* people don't try to listen and dial at the same time.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.