and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

*Got My Panasonic PBX

Started by RotaryRose, July 30, 2011, 05:21:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AE_Collector

Quote from: bigdaddylove on September 22, 2011, 01:49:00 AM
It's a loop system.

How many pairs in the cable that loops to all the jacks? 4 pairs would still allow you up to 3 stations on the cable plus the actual outside phone line. Then you could wire stations seperately to the locations that are close to the pbx.

Terry

bigdaddylove

Well, I could not sleep last night so I took apart a jack to see what's up with the wiring. Looks like it is a loop system based on how the wiring looks. Also, it seems that the wire is 2 pair with and additional green and white pair that does not connect to the jack. Maybe it is for the intercom?   Would someone look at the picture below and confirm?

Since I live in a condo, I don't think we have NIDs outside our units as far as I can see.  There is a bunch of 66 blocks in the trash room and I can see all the wires running up through conduit in the floor to the 66 blocks, then out the top and up into the ceiling.

bigdaddylove

here's the pbx -- it's so huge!

gpo706

I had to take the lid off mine to accommodate all the RJ11 tails/ ADSL filters so mine looks rather naked compared to yours!
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

GG

That's the unit I referred to as a KX-T 308.  Three CO lines, 8 hybrid stations, any station can be an analog phone or a hybrid digital phone.  The hybrid digital phones use the analog pair (green & red, or white/blue & blue/white) for voice transmission and the digital pair (black & yellow, or white/orange & orange/white) for signaling (buttons & lamps). 

The 308 telephones are specific to the 308 PBX.  I've forgotten whether that meant that the 308 telephones can only be used on the 308 PBX, or whether the larger capacity telephones (616 and 1232) cannot be used on the 308 PBX.  If I had to guess I'd say that the 308 telephones can migrate to the 616 and 1232 PBX due to Panasonic's policy of forward compatibility: if you got a larger switch you could keep your old phones from the smaller switch.   That policy is still in effect with the latest generations, KX-TDE and KX-NCP.  (Though there is a new Panasonic switch coming out that will grow to 30,000 telephones and uses a VOIP architecture such that older phones will not migrate.)

KX-T 308 was revolutionary when it was first introduced, due to the hybrid port structure and the dual-color LEDs on the telephone keys (green for the line you were using, red for the lines others were using, thus no guessing when you went to put lines on hold or pick them up again). 

The subsequent model KX-TD 308, which was only around for a short while, was about 1/3 the size and about 1/3 the power consumption of KX-T 308.  Currently the smallest Panasonic switch is KX-TDA 50 G, starting at 4 CO lines and 4 hybrid ports, with growth to 12 CO lines and 24 extension ports (DXDP port structure: up to two digital telephones per port; analog ports require analog port cards).

All of the "308" units are relatively rare today, compared to the various 616s and 1232s. 

AE_Collector

Bigdaddylove: it looks to me as though both the white blue and the white oronge pairs of te three pair cable are connected to the green and red of the jack for some reason. You should be able to get the tel line onto just the white blue pair and then be able to use the other two pairs to distribute two pbx stations.

Terry

bigdaddylove

Quote from: AE_collector on September 24, 2011, 01:55:09 PM
Bigdaddylove: it looks to me as though both the white blue and the white oronge pairs of te three pair cable are connected to the green and red of the jack for some reason. You should be able to get the tel line onto just the white blue pair and then be able to use the other two pairs to distribute two pbx stations.

Terry

Just how do I do that? I'm not sure how to make the connection between the wires in the wall and the pbx. Sorry, I'm still very new to the whole telephony thing.

Thanks!

*edit*

Okay, I think I know what I need to do. Please let me know if I am on the right track.

1. Install a two line modular phone jack near the pbx.
2. Use one of the jacks for the incoming telephone line (to the pbx) by using the blue/white wires.
3. On the second jack, connect the orange/white wires.
4. From the modular extension on the pbx, e.g. 11, run a line cord and plug it into the second jack.
5. Any jack in the house that is wired with the orange/white wires only will now correspond to extension 11 in the pbx.

Is that how it's done?

bigdaddylove

Can anyone verify I am on the right track before I go through the trouble and expense?

Thanks!

AE_Collector

Quote from: bigdaddylove on September 26, 2011, 09:11:51 PM
Can anyone verify I am on the right track before I go through the trouble and expense?

Thanks!

Yes that is basically it. Here's how I would do it.

1 - you have wh/bl AND wh/or tied onto the green and red in your jacks so first you need to confirm that the actual phone line is ONLY feeding into your house/appartment/suite on the wh/bl pair by removing the wh/or pair at each and every jack where it is hooked WITH the wh/bl like in your picture. Then you need a test set OR hook one jack with the wh/or on the green red of the jack and use a regular working phone to see if you have dial tone there or not. If you do you have to get to the main telephone room to ensure your line only comes in o nthe wh/bl pair. While there make certaain the wh/or and the wh/gr have nothing connected to the.

2 - convert all jacks in your place to double or triple jacks. Double are much easier to find so put wh/bl on the first jack so you have direct access to the main phone line at all locations. put the wh/or on the green and red of the second jack and then put the wh/gr on the black and yellow of the second jack.

3 - get two or three "two line adapters". These look like the plug in double jack splitters but these actually bring the green & red to one jack and the black & yellow to the other jack. Plg one into the second jack located where the PBX. Now get three modular phone cords and patch the main tel line from into the line 1 of the PBX and then patch two stations of the PBX to the wo line adapter. Now you have the phone line into the PBX and two stations feeding out to all other jacks in the house.

4 - You can plug a "POTS - Plain Old Telephone Service" phone into any of the "second jacks" of the double jacks at each location to access your first station and if you want to access the second station at any particular location plug in one of the two line adapters to get access to eaithe one of the stations.

The only thing that I am not certain about is the odd jacks you show in the picture. I am not certain if you are going to be able to get a double jack that will fit that box. You might have to get a surface mount jack to mount above/below/beside the one that mounts flush on the box and then plug a two line adapter into one of the jacks to access your two stations.

I think that's it.......

Terry

bigdaddylove

Cool! Thanks, Terry.

I have to admit that it's a little more involved than I imagined.
Beyond the wiring and purchases needed, I'd also have to move a ton of stuff in my office (where the pbx is located) just to get to the jack.

Maybe this winter when there's nothing else to do I'll give it a shot.

Thanks, again!

AE_Collector

So you have the right idea, I just made it a bit more work so you can do it once and it will be flexible for the future so you don't have to move the furniture ever again.

Terry

Greg G.

I have mine leaning up against the wall on a side table.  This is for both convenience in access and also I'm reluctant/prevented from punching holes in the wall in my apt.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e