News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1930s Westclox "Ben Franklin" Clock

Started by LarryInMichigan, June 07, 2011, 12:06:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

I bought this clock at a flea market a few months ago.  It is a mid 1930s Westclox "Ben Franklin" clock.  The shell is black bakelite.  This is  the only black bakelite clock that I have, though I have several brown bakelite ones.

The clock was dirty when I bought it.  As I usually do, I cleaned and oiled the movement, but when I tried to put back the motor, I found that the rotor post had broken off.  I do not know if I broke it by pulling too much on the motor, but I suspect that it was weak and/or bent when I got it.  The motor is a 1930s Sangamo synchronous AC motor, and they are not easy to replace.  A week or two ago, I found a lot of clock motors, including one Sangamo, on ebay, and I won the auction.  When I got the motor, I inserted it into the movement, and the clock ran backwards.  I discovered that the stator has rings on it which can be placed in two different positions to affect the direction of the motor.  I managed to remove the rings and place them the other way, and the clock now appears to be working, though it is a bit noisy.  

Larry

gpo706

Thats a beaut, Larry, I like the brass against the black bakelite, much reminiscent of older phones.

Nice you got it running again.
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: gpo706 on June 07, 2011, 05:55:40 PM
Nice you got it running again.

I thought that I had, but I just discovered that one of the gears slipped off a post, so the second hand stopped moving even though the motor was running.  I had to disassemble the whole thing again.  I have probably spent $400 on this clock, including my time, so far.  It is rather classy though.

Larry

Dennis Markham

Very nice clock, Larry.  Congrats on getting the replacement motor.

TelePlay

Well, Larry, about 40 years newer and it's the Baby Ben version of the standard Ben Franklin from Westclock.

This in nothing of a "find" or of any value to anyone but me. I was digging in a box in the basement and found it after being tucked away for 43 years. What was funny was it shows the time I got up on the last day I used it, about 4:45 am. I set the hands to 10:10 but left the alarm setting as found. Still works just as fine as it did for the last year I spent in the military, oh so long ago and so far, far away.

LarryInMichigan

I had forgotten about this topic.  Black Ben Franklins are not particularly rare.  Since I posted this a few years ago, I bought and restored two more and gave one to my mother and the other to a friend.  They are both appreciated.  I also managed to get a much rarer white one which is part of my collection.  The white one was made a few years later and has a different type of motor and movement.

Larry

Mr. Bones

Nice Baby Ben, John!

Brings back many memories; I used one for the 8 years I was in the military, as well as afterwards. Love that tick-tock all night! I'll have to find me another of that vintage.

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus