News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE model 90 Handset Cord

Started by joey67, April 05, 2011, 02:14:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joey67

The AE Model 90 I was just successful at getting to work completely is having a problem. If you stretch the handset cord just a little the caller audio becomes quiet.
What is going to be involved in replacing the handset cord or handset and cord? 

GG

Call the folks at PhoneCoInc. in Galesville Wisconsin and ask for a replacement AE handset cord of correct color & length. 

Once you have replaced the cord on the phone, take your troubled cord, screw down both ends to terminal strips, and use an ohmmeter to figure out which of the two conductors to the receiver is bad (if both are bad, scrap out the cord for recoverable parts such as strain reliefs etc.).  Tape & store the spade lugs at both ends of that conductor. 

Then the bad cord can be used again by making a jumper wire for use inside the handset, to connect the vacant terminal of the receiver to the transmitter terminal that's "common" inside the set.    In other words, you're turning a 4-conductor handset cord into a 3-conductor cord and taking advantage of the fact that one of the three conductors is shared between transmitter & receiver.  Does that make sense, or should I write another of my "too darn long GG postings" to explain in detail? 

jsowers

Joey, what color is your AE90? I have a few AE handset cords I'll never use, but I think I only have light beige, light green and light blue. I only found one black cord the last time I looked and that one went to BrinyBay on the Forum.
Jonathan

joey67

GG

Thanks I'll give them a call when I get a chance.

jsowers

Thanks.... I need a balck one, always the most popular color is the one that no one has.  :D