News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

what is this gadget?

Started by Witty, October 01, 2010, 01:21:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Witty

I have an item that I know nothing about. It came from a friend who took it off of the base of a candlestick phone he acquired. It was connected with two wide spade connectors, one on each side, but he said he could not remember which wires were connected to it and he didn't take a photo before taking it off.  It had black electrical tape around it to hold it in place which is why you see the little black marks. I was hoping maybe some of you might have an idea what it is and if I could use it for whatever purpose it was used for.  Thanks for any help you can provide.
Ken
Ken

Witty

PS, I meant to also say it is about 1 1/2" square in size.  Thanks!
Ken

Jim Stettler

I think it may be a "ringer".
Just a guess.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

HarrySmith

I agree, looks like a buzzer of some sort, probably used as a "ringer"  ???
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Doug Rose

Kidphone

JorgeAmely

It is a buzzer driven by a Texas Instrument telephone ringer driver.

The pdf of the driver circuit is here:
http://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tcm1501b.pdf
Jorge

Witty

Thanks Jorge, and everyone else with your information.  I was thinking it might be something like this.  I am wondering if the other little components might be a network and induction coil, to make the handset work properly.  I'll take a picture of the of the other two small components and post them on here when I get back. If so, then I suppose I could probably use this on any of my candlesticks, 102's and 202 phones I have?
Thanks again!
Ken

KeithB

Some people might call it a <warbler>

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Witty

Here are close ups of the extra components.  I'm thinking the yellow adjustment is probably a volume control.  The other two I'm not sure. 
Ken

JorgeAmely

Witty:
From page 5 and on (of the attached PDF), you will see a lot of circuit samples. The blue component is an electrolytic capacitor and the other is a resistor. The aqua component is a high voltage capacitor. The component is a potentiometer (adjustable resistor), probably used to adjust the gain of the circuit so the buzzer does not rattle too much. My 2 cents.
Jorge

Greg G.

The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Just4Phones

Quote from: Brinybay on October 02, 2010, 05:48:57 AM
I say it's a doo-hickey!

You guys have it all wrong let an expert enlighten you.  Its a thingamajig.  Glad I could help

Witty

I have one more question, if anyone knows.  If I want to hook it up to a candlestick, or a 102 02 202 phone, what wiring connections would I have to use? I'm looking at some wiring diagrams but still having trouble figuring out which is which. Thanks for any help.
Ken
Ken

Jim Stettler

It looks like it already has a capacitor.

I think this can go directly across the phone line. Red on 1 side, green on the other.
JMO,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.