News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Recent posts

Off Topic / Re: Flugelhorn Lamp?
Last post by FABphones - Today at 03:41:36 AM
Quote from: TelePlay on Yesterday at 06:46:43 PM...was kept as a sentimental keepsake...

Not an unlikely scenario given it's locale, and the type and spread of damage would fit in with that theory. What we do know for sure is that it was badly damaged and yet retained. Wherever it was stored it was indoors and protected from the thick dust and grime which can accumulate on the surface. This is at the very least 117 years old. No verdigris. My guess is it was wrapped in fabric and all but forgotten in a drawer or cupboard.

I'll pop back and have a chat with the store owner, see if he can remember any detail about finding it. Right now all I know is house clearance and that the seller does perform a lot of house clearances at the request of family members of the deceased.

Meantime I still have a bit of a learning curve to repair the break. I won't be over restoring this but would like to get those two pieces reattached.

Info:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flugelhorn

And here is Clark Terry playing his Flugelhorn:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6a7QI7ETUI

:)

Wanted / WANTED: Top lock Key for a Gra...
Last post by Gary Z - Today at 02:25:58 AM
Is there a standard key to this E-10-E top lock? It has a smaller hole than the usual AE or Western. I am looking for 1 or 2.
General Discussion / Re: old Danish phone
Last post by dsk - Today at 01:35:28 AM
I have never removed that cover, but one on/off pulse lets my counter add 1.
Just remove the screws on red and green on both, move both green wires to the same screw  and fix it, then do the same with red. Connect the wire to those.

Phone Booths / Re: Booth (well, one of those ...
Last post by ChrisW6ATV - Today at 12:27:11 AM
Good news so far: I went to the location, and the booth is still there. Two of them, in fact! But, it was early, and they were not yet open for business. Perhaps I need to go back, with my pickup truck and a tool box, and say "Do you want me to remove those right now, safely?" to the owner (if he is the man I have seen there before). One booth even has a cradle for a phone book, still in decent condition.
Candlestick Phones / Re: Advice on winding new coil...
Last post by xtal_01 - Yesterday at 11:03:47 PM
Thanks guys!

Well it is not good to me this way ... and it took me 5 years to find one of these .... maybe someone out there knows where I can find a Monarch receiver?  I would gladly buy another if I can find one.

I think I will take a shot at fixing this one.

It might just be the connection where the two coils come together.

I do need to break the swage to get the metal retainers that hold the coils off.

I am not sure the easiest way to do this ... I started scrapping at it tonight ... might be able to get enough metal off to let them pop off.

If I was going to do a lot of them, I would make some kind of coil winder.  I think for one or two, I will just take a few nights and slowly go round and round.

I will be sure to count the windings coming off  ... and try to match the gauge as best I can.

Crossing my fingers.

Mike
I thought that I could simply swap out the singular RJ11 wall plate for a dual jack, but it seems that the two are not connected in the back and remain separate. Is there a way for it to work without running additional wiring?

Dual RJ11.jpg