News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My first Norwegian payphone is Danish

Started by dsk, July 03, 2014, 02:14:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dsk

I have, at last got the "impossible" phone. And just  $84! After years of looking.
It is dirty, ugly, but it works if you have old Norwegian 5 or 1 krone coins.
I will probably need some help to understand how to tune it.
It collects at a 16 kHz signal.

dsk

dsk

How does it work? When you go off hook you get a dial tone, and you hear a short beep every ~2 sec. you may dial, and talk/listen.
When it receives a 16 kHz signal, the coin relay opens for 1x 5kr or 2x 1kr to collect. The coin runs trough valditor 1. (This sorts on size, and stops magnetic washers. Rejected coins goes to return tray, or stuck at magnet until released by hook. If OK it contains to validator 2. Here some electromagnetic device read OK or not. Coins are collected.  If the coin are not OK, you get a beep, and may within short time ad a valid coin. If not, a new beep, and the unit goes off the line.

dsk

dsk

More pictures:

dsk

And more:

dsk

http://tinyurl.com/k3k3m42

Description of sounds:

0 sec: Dial tone
14 Dialing hotline
16 Rings
33 Party answers, Nok 5 collected
45 Payphone warning beeps stops
1:23 Nok 1 collected
1:41 Nok 5 collected
2:49 Tries to collect more money.
2:57 Beeps for 2.5 sec
3: Tries to collect again etc...
3:04 Breakes connection

Pulse interval for collecting 16 sec.

dsk

Now it has been working for a while.  Turned off tone generator at Christmas, and then it took two days before it was stable again, *!!**... electronics ! Have spent much time and effort on this .
No I feel this project are ended, and I'm looking for next.

dsk

19and41

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

TeleDK

Hi,

I am a new member of this forum. I am from germany and collecting international payphones. I have the 1 Kroner version in my collection from the company GNT Denmark.
Do you have the describtion of this AY2 version.

TeleDK

dsk

Hi, and welcome to the forum.
I have not been able to get any formal info about these phones.
Your version was pretty common in restaurants etc.  These collects when receiving 16 kHz signal.  As you probably know, yours has been used in Oslo.

dsk

TeleDK

Hello dsk,

yes I know that this phone is from Oslo, it has the beginning number fro the dial a "9". I get it from Oslo.
Did this payphone made also if you hang up the handset a payphone tone?
Could you tell me how many coins is the minimum for a call? 2x Kroner?

TeleDK

dsk

If I remember right, when you go off hook you get a payphone tone on top of the dial tone. The minimum insert was 2 kr, and the phone senses on size and alloy, so you need the old Norwegian krone from before  1996?  When party answers, the payphone beeps disappears after a few seconds (after receiving 16 kHz signal), but long enough to tell the party that you call from a coin phone. 
The phone is programmed to eat your money in a sequence of on or two coins at the time when the 16 kHz is received.  You get a warning tone to add more money within a second or so if not enough is in the insert.  When hanging up re remaining money returns. If a coin get stuck, you have to hang up to get it in return, and give room for more money.

dsk

Kimball321

By the way do these payphones use an external power source or are they powered by the telephone line?  I ask this because many international and a few North American payphones were unable to run off of just line power and needed an external power source.
I collect payphones :)

dsk

It runs fine on a std telephone line, or even an ATA as a Linksys PAP 2

dsk

TeleDK

My older Typ AY2 from GNT is also without a external power source, it worked with linepower.

In germany the most old payphones from the PTT build in a kiosk have an powersource on it. They use this powersupply also for heating the internal parts in winter.

The typ MüFw 63 from Siemens is one of the biggest and heavy phone with an gread mechanic (more than 25kg).   

TeleDK

TeleDK

Here are the danish phones for the spain phonecompany Telefonica: