"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

UK GPO 746 Topaz Yellow Telephone Restoration

Started by royalbox, January 16, 2017, 09:01:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

unbeldi

Quote from: royalbox on May 12, 2017, 04:11:05 AM
John, thanks for that info, is that really all that's in novus 1? That's suprising. glad I didn't buy any after all.

Andy, great job on that repair. Look forward to seeing the final result. Makes my blue phone damage look trivial in comparison except I don't have the original piece.

I remember having received Novus 1 together with the other grades as a package deal, not really paying extra for it.  Novus 1 is not a polishing agent as such, but it does provide extra sheen when applied as a final step, and acts more or less as a cleaning agent to remove any remaining debris from the surface. I have used it with special lint free final polishing/cleaning cloth.  When bought as part of a kit, it came in a spray bottle that produces a very fine mist, perfect for the application.  But such spray bottles can of course be bought separately too, and many medicinal sprays come in such spray bottles too, which I have saved for this and similar purposes.

andy1702

Quote from: royalbox on May 12, 2017, 04:11:05 AM
Andy, great job on that repair. Look forward to seeing the final result. Makes my blue phone damage look trivial in comparison except I don't have the original piece.

I think not having the original pieces would make it a much longer process. I'm not sure I'd fancy trying to rebuild a completely missing piece out of liquified plastic. I was very pleased to find that last bit I can tell you!

I've still got some work to do though because if you look at the back edge of the case (bottom as it's laid down in the photos) you'll see quite a lot of it is chipped away. I'm just psyching myself up to tackle that bit.  ;D
Call me on C*net 0246 81 290 from the UK
or (+44) 246 81 290 from the rest of the world.

For telephone videos search Andys Shed on Youtube.

andy1702

Just a quick update on my GPO741 case restoration. You'll have noticed in the last photo there were some 'nibbles' around the bottom edge. I've now liquified some plastic in acetone, let quite a bit of the acetone evaporate off and then used the resulting paste to rebuild the edge of the case before sanding, rubbing over with acetone and finally rubbing with methylated spirits and buffing.

It's not perfect. I can see some of the joins in places where the replaced plastic is still a bit low. I guess I could add more plastic, but I'm going to leave it at that for now and get the phone back together and into use. I might re-visit the restoration to get it a bit closer to perfect in the future. I think this proves the concept though.

Andy.
Call me on C*net 0246 81 290 from the UK
or (+44) 246 81 290 from the rest of the world.

For telephone videos search Andys Shed on Youtube.

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"