News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

BS 317 my dad refinished in 1966

Started by Key2871, August 01, 2018, 04:56:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Key2871

Well I found my long lost BS 317 that my dad refinished, way back in 1966. This lived on the living room wall in the Summer camp for 5 years before being packed up and tucked away. My mom gave it to me in 1984, when it was re discovered, and I then hung it on my living room wall for 20 years. I once had an induction coil, and a some what good transmitter. But I haven't seen those for quite awhile.
I did buy a receiver cord from Otis and that is still in great condition, as well as the decal on the door above the transmitter. An old installer came to visit years ago, he was in his late 70's then. He said it all looked correct. He remembered installing or removing some of these in his day.
He had a very extensive museum in his barn, including a bit brace he accidentally drilled into the electrical service entrance to a house. That caught fire and did extensive damage to the house. But he had a 1E1 manual single slot payphone, that was used for testing in the local CO he and his son worked out of. He had file cabinets full of manuals, phone parts, all NOS, boxes of phone's, of all sorts. Quite a guy Dick was.
I believe this had a long arm transmitter and long shelf at one point. But I only remember the phone this way.
It has a five bar magneto in it, and my dad told me it came from a very rural area in upstate New York, a place in the sticks as he put it. From my understanding, that's why the five bar, for extra ring power to get to the board.
Question, is this worth doing a full restore, I have all terminals except the transmitter. And I'll need the coil, and condenser. Wiring, but I can get that from the bay.
KEN

HarrySmith

I would say go for it! Any phone, especially one in it's original state is worth restoring to me. The fact that it has history with your family makes it even more special!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Key2871

Yea, I find myself agreeing with that. But I'm on a tight budget, and I don't know how much parts would be.
I'm wondering if the coil and condenser might be out in the shed some where. But I really have not seen that stuff for a while.
But I'm surprised to see the finish is still holding up well.
I believe he used varnish for finishing.
KEN

HarrySmith

I would just clean it up and display it as is for now. Get (or find) the parts as you can, when you have all you need then complete the restoration.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"