News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

L.M. Ericsson DAH 1201 Bakelite Magneto telephone (Sweden)

Started by dsk, November 18, 2022, 04:29:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dsk

I have had this one for some years, it is marked of a though life, and actually not much to display.
I do not know the age of this bakelite telephone, but the wiring diagram I have got from a friend is dated 1950.

Budavox

There is one sale here exactly the same model... I wanted to get it but curious would a magneto phone still work in the modern installation? At least to receive a call?

dsk

You will need to add in a capacitor in series with the ringer, and use a battery for the transmitter if you want it for receiving calls, In addition I would recommend to short or dissconnct the generator to be sure to not send ringingcurrent out on the line.

So mainly not suitable for a regular CB line.

Budavox

Hello dsk, I finally managed to get it... I have a question; how did you release the magneto handle? When I opened those four screws under, I was blocked by the handle  ;D

tubaman

Quote from: Budavox on December 18, 2022, 07:31:45 AMHello dsk, I finally managed to get it... I have a question; how did you release the magneto handle? When I opened those four screws under, I was blocked by the handle  ;D

Give it a tap in the anticlockwise direction and it should loosen and unscrew.

Contempra

Quote from: Budavox on December 18, 2022, 07:31:45 AMHello dsk, I finally managed to get it... I have a question; how did you release the magneto handle? When I opened those four screws under, I was blocked by the handle  ;D

Well, I would leave the crank in place to keep the phone original. Just do not touch the crank when receiving a call. It's my humble opinion, but the phone is yours ;D

dsk

The magneto handle will uncrew by winding counterclockwise.  If you disconnect the red, and the brown wires from the generator and just insulate (tape) wires you jus add a ringer capacitor between 6 and 8 and it should work, You need to use the battery of 3V as shown in the diagram, and with this modification it may not harm anything by turning the handle, so you may keep it in place.

Regarding the ringer capacitor, probably all bipolar capacitors of 0.47-1 uF rated at least 150V will do the job.  1 uF will ring louder, and draw more current.

Budavox

Hello dsk,
Thank you very much!!! Your suggestion works!  8)

I just had the time to make adjustment to the phone. I got myself an AA battery case and a capacitor. This phone has the terminal box (though I think not the original from Ericsson) and I just need to attach it there.
I followed your instructions to put the capacitor on number 6 and 10, the clapper moved once when I put the capacitor (good sign!)
For this phone, I use a 1 uF 400v capacitor.

For the magneto itself, I keep all the cables in place instead, and I put a piece of plastic between the contacts to prevent them touching each other.
The magneto is actually still working, I test it by connect a telephone to the line part and crank the magneto.. the connected telephone would ring.

At the end, I connect it to the telephone line and dial the number from my cellphone.
It rings really loud, and the mic works really well (I can hear myself talking on the receiver)

Tip:
Do not put the battery in the wrong positive/negative position, it will generate a loud long beep to the receiver!

Budavox

Quote from: tubaman on December 18, 2022, 08:47:45 AMGive it a tap in the anticlockwise direction and it should loosen and unscrew.
Thank you, same as dsk suggested; it worked!!

Quote from: Contempra on December 18, 2022, 08:52:55 AMWell, I would leave the crank in place to keep the phone original. Just do not touch the crank when receiving a call. It's my humble opinion, but the phone is yours ;D
Yes, I would do that as well, but I need to release the crank in order to make the telephone works with the modern phone line.
It was a success though (as you can see from my previous reply  :P

The telephone now sits on the living room console cabinet and connected to the regular phone network
In the background I stacked the telephone battery on top of the terminal box  ;D

FABphones

Quote from: tubaman on December 18, 2022, 08:47:45 AMGive it a tap in the anticlockwise direction and it should loosen and unscrew.

With thanks to tubaman for the handy tip. Works a treat on mine too.
:D
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble