News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Pay Phone Schematic

Started by PGWolfe, January 03, 2023, 03:20:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PGWolfe

I have a pay phone inherited from my father who worked at Ohio Bell from around 1965 through 2007. What I am looking for is a schematic to determine what parts are missing, and if the loose parts even belong to this payphone.

I know nothing about this phone, not even the manufacturer. If anyone has knowledge, please let me know.

Thanks.

HarrySmith

Payphone stuff but not for this phone with the exception of the key, it may work on this phone.  The "T" key is for later models, the long bolts with lock on the end is for a secondary upper housing lock that your phone does not have. Your phone looks to be fairly complete and original. Can you add a picture of the inside of the upper housing?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

PGWolfe

Thanks for the info.  I added another pic.

Another question...in that pic of loose parts there are magnets (lower left corner).  Are those for the phone, or were they just used by my father to hold that front plate on?  Also, if none of those other parts are for this pay phone, how does that front plate attach?  The plate I have doesn't have a lock, just the hole for the lock.  So to make this look correct I would need that part...which is why I'd like more info (i.e. model, manufacturer)

Thanks

HarrySmith

It is a Western Electric 233G as marked. The date looks like III 69. There is a lock in the upper houiong, circled in the attached picture. Try the key in it. The magnets do not belong with the phone.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Stan S

Your payphone is mounted in a 139 L bracket.That L bracket is worth at least twice what the payphone is worth.
You will need a subset to make the phone operate properly.
There are plenty of 685A subsets for sale on Ebay.

HarrySmith

Quote from: Stan S on January 03, 2023, 04:51:51 PMYour payphone is mounted in a 139 L bracket.That L bracket is worth at least twice what the payphone is worth.
You will need a subset to make the phone operate properly.

Stan, is that what the chrome bezel around the base is? I was wondering about that, I was about to ask for a picture of the back. Am I correct that it looks complete & original?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

poplar1

Can you photograph the vault door, if any? If the door is Western Electric, a Western Electric 30C lock is the most affordable .
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Stan S

Harry
That's what it is. There were two versions produced. The front edge of the first version followed the contour of the edge of the cast iron top of the first model 3-slots. The second version was straight, like the one in the photos. There were a few (12)reproductions made about 10 years ago by Paul Vaverchak. The payphone does look complete except no subset.
Judging by the cut wiring this phone did have an attached subset st one time.

HarrySmith

I have seen them In black as a counter model but first time in chrome or is it nickel. Can you add a picture of the back? Is there any markng on the other side of the key?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

PGWolfe

I took a few pictures of the door, and rear of the phone. 

To answer previous questions:
There are no markings on the either side of the key.
The key does turn the lock, but it did not fit into the keyhole.  I'd estimate it only went in about an 1/8 of an inch.  So possibly it isn't the correct key?

Can you provide a link to "685A subsets"...my search comes up with numerous different items.

Also, I was expecting to see a box for the coins to reside in.  Is that missing?

Thanks.

poplar1

That looks like a WE door, but Stan or Jim will have to tell us if it is the older one with offset keyhole, in which case a 30C lock probably won't work.

Here is a wiring diagram for the 233G with 685A subset. Or, you can use an old 500 set or just the network out of one if you don't need it to ring:

https://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=26954.msg260299#msg260299

See reply #1

HarrySmith

If you remove the lock from the housing it should have numbers on it. One of our members can make a key for it with that number
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

poplar1

The 685As are ridiculously priced on Ebay today:

poplar1

Quote from: HarrySmith on January 04, 2023, 04:38:12 PMIf you remove the lock from the housing it should have numbers on it. One of our members can make a key for it with that number

If you zoom in, it looks like a WE 10G lock. Just make sure it doesn't open with a screwdriver before you pay $24 for a repro 10G key. Some locks have been modified to work without a key.)

PGWolfe

Which picture are you zooming in on?