News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Phonesrfun's Step by Step demo switch

Started by Phonesrfun, November 26, 2009, 08:05:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bwanna

the CO i referred to is also a "slave" office. i find it interesting that there would be a host/slave set-up across area code lines.
in the area where i work it is necessary to dial the area code to call across the street.
donna

Phonesrfun

I guess they could have slaved it off of Pendelton, OR which is 50 miles away, but they did it off of Walla Walla.  There is a fiber cable that runs between Milton-Freewater and Pendelton.  Gone are all the copper wires.

-Bill
-Bill G

bellsystemproperty

Quote from: Phonesrfun on January 23, 2010, 10:31:55 PM
A couple of the small towns around here have very small brick buildings that serve the local towns and they are satelites off of the switch that is in Walla Walla, WA, the town I live in. 

One example is Milton-Freewater, Oregon which is about 8 miles away, and in another area code.  Walla Walla, WA is in the 509 area code, and it drives the M-F switch in Oregon which is in the 541 area code.  Local Qwest customers can dial a M-F number as a 7 digit number and vice versa, and I believe it is a local call.  I am not sure, since I am on Vonage and although all calls in the US, Canada and most other places are not toll calls, I still have to dial a M-F call as 10 digits.

You, you are on voip?!  ;) ;)

Phonesrfun

Yeppers.  Voip, Voip!

I trashed my copper land line a few years ago when it was costing me a fortune.  Now, I have a little central office in a box called a router that hooks into my cable.

To the telephones and to the Panasonic 616 it all looks the same to them.  BUT, having said that, I do have my step by step.  That should redeem me for something.

There are several "Dyed in the wool" switchers out there who have VoIP routers hooked to their computers and they participate in the C-Net.  This allows them to dial into others switches and key systems.  I have not done that yet, but maybe someday....

Here is a link to the C-Net page:

https://www.ckts.info/

-Bill Geurts
-Bill G

bellsystemproperty

I actually use voip as well. We have at&t, but I use Google Voice for free unlimited cell phone minutes, although I don't use my cell phone much to begin with. (heavy compression makes calls sound bad). On my 1232, which is hooked up now, I have it connected to att, my cell phone via a bluetooth gateway, and I will connect Magickjack as third line. All cell phone calls ring the rotaries and I don't have to go looking for my cell phone if I put it down somewhere. I'll have to take some pictures of my setup, because I said I would, but then I never got around to it. I admit for most calls I just use line 1, which is att, because it sounds better.

teka-bb

Currently I use an ISDN1 land line and voip plus internet over ADSL via copper and cable tv via coax.

Within a few days I hope to be fully connected through optical fibre. Internet and TV are already connected via fibre, voip will be connected within the next few days.

Copper land line telephony (pstn or isdn) is just getting too expensive.
=============================================
Regards,

Remco, JKL Museum of Telephony Curator

JKL Museum of Telephony: http://jklmuseum.com/
TCI Library: http://www.telephonecollectors.info/