News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Protel Pay Phone

Started by Kelpie, September 18, 2012, 03:54:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AE_Collector

I can't remember the code but there was one that would tell you how much money was in the coin box. That is as long as the vault switch was working so it would know when the box was pulled out so it could reset the total to zero.

Terry

G-Man

Determining the Coin Box Amount

1. Lift the handset off-hook & listen for dial tone.
2. Dial * (star) # (pound) 4 (four) + your 4-digit coin box amount security code.
! The voice prompt in the handset should then prompt the current coin box amount.

Re-Setting the Coin Box Amount to Zero

1. Lift the handset off-hook & listen for dial tone.
2. Dial * (star) # (pound) 5 (five) + your 4-digit coin box amount security code.
! Verify that the voice prompt in the handset repeats "0".

Kelpie

Hope I didn't ruin the board.  I figured that since it had 4 AA nicad batteries hooked up that it would be 6 volts.

I am going to try to program it again using 3 AA batteries to get 4.5 volts.

If I do get it to program, does it require some outside signal to get it working?

If I can't get it to work, will one of those older AE 120B boards work?  They had some with the ringer on a website, but then I wonder about getting it to work without any coins since I figure the connectors for the coin mechanism I have may now work, and if it requires some outside source for programming.

I really don't want to get rid of it since it has all the parts for the coin mechanism, the coin box and I have all the keys.

rdelius

The GTE boards can be set to free if I remember. I think the connectors to the coin microswitches are the same.You might need a GTE touch pad to go with the board.

G-Man

Ni-cad cells are 1.2-volts (nominal) each. Four equal 4.8-volts.
Alkaline cells are 1.5-volts (nominal) each. Four equal 6-volts.

A 120B chassis will probably work ok but the reason I like the Protel is because it can easily be programmed to work like a payphone; collect or refund coins as would be appropriate when making a call. Kinda neat when demonstating for friends.

MaximRecoil

Quote from: G-Man on September 26, 2012, 02:00:09 PM
A 120B chassis will probably work ok but the reason I like the Protel is because it can easily be programmed to work like a payphone; collect or refund coins as would be appropriate when making a call. Kinda neat when demonstating for friends.

Aside from reinitializing them to their default programming, how do you program them without calling into them with a PC running Protel ExpressNet software?

G-Man

Quote from: MaximRecoil on September 26, 2012, 05:11:15 PM
Quote from: G-Man on September 26, 2012, 02:00:09 PM

Aside from reinitializing them to their default programming, how do you program them without calling into them with a PC running Protel ExpressNet software?

It's programmable through the keypad as shown in the manual. But since its tedious to program specific rates for across the U.S. they also provide computer access to remotely program it. The other option is to simply program it through the keypad to charge a flat-rate for long distance calls over a certain distance. Yet another option is to have one of the TCI or ATCA members who have their own cocot companies to remotely program it with Protel ExpressNet software.

G-Man

[snippets from manual]
If you were unable to provide us with your programming request at the time of your
order, please test the payphone to see if it charging acceptable amounts for local, toll,
long distance, & other types of calls. By simply dialing any number, the payphone will
give voice prompts of the required amount of money of the call if there is a charge. Below
is a list of typical programming the payphone will usually contain if the customer was
unable to provide us with programming request at the time of their order. Available
programming changes that can be done by the owner can be found on pages 10 through
Typical Pre-Sets for [Protel]310 Payphones [boards]Not Pre-programmed to Customers Request
7-Digit Calls $.35 every 15 minutes
10-Digit Home Area Code Calls $1.00 every 2 minutes
Long Distance Calls within the U.S. $1.00 every 2 minutes
Information Calls $.75
1-800 Type Calls Free
Incoming Calls Free
If you would like to edit the factory pre-set programming, please see pages 10 through
13 for available programming changes.
If you are a customer using Protel ExpressNet Payphone Management software,
please refer to your Protel Pocket Reference Guide & your ExpressNet Manual for
instructions on Initializing & Programming the Payphone.

MaximRecoil

Okay, that all seems to apply to the Protel 310. What about the 8000? Earlier you said:

QuoteI have 25-30 of them in storage and keep them around for two reasons, one being that they are all mounted in Western Electric housings and can be quickly restored back to original.

The other being, to give them to friends for their game rooms. I can quickly program them for the local prefixes and the phones will then allow outside dialing when the correct amount of coins are deposited.

As far as I know, the only Protel chassis made to fit Western Electric housings is the 8000 (correct me if I'm wrong). So is the 8000 also programmable via the keypad? I can't find any mention of being able to do so in the 8000's manual.

G-Man

Quote from: MaximRecoil on September 27, 2012, 09:57:51 AM
Okay, that all seems to apply to the Protel 310. What about the 8000? Earlier you said:

QuoteI have 25-30 of them in storage and keep them around for two reasons, one being that they are all mounted in Western Electric housings and can be quickly restored back to original.

The other being, to give them to friends for their game rooms. I can quickly program them for the local prefixes and the phones will then allow outside dialing when the correct amount of coins are deposited.

As far as I know, the only Protel chassis made to fit Western Electric housings is the 8000 (correct me if I'm wrong). So is the 8000 also programmable via the keypad? I can't find any mention of being able to do so in the 8000's manual.

In answer to your questions, yes, and yes. Please refer back to my earlier statement. It may be helpful for you to obtain the programming manual.

"I can quickly program them for the local prefixes and the phones will then allow outside dialing when the correct amount of coins are deposited."

MaximRecoil

Quote from: G-Man on September 27, 2012, 01:39:46 PM
In answer to your questions, yes, and yes. Please refer back to my earlier statement. It may be helpful for you to obtain the programming manual.

"I can quickly program them for the local prefixes and the phones will then allow outside dialing when the correct amount of coins are deposited."

I only have the Protel 8000 installation manual. I don't know where to get the programming manual.

By programming through the keypad, is it possible to change the number of rings before the modem answers? That would be the thing that would be most useful to me, because with its default programming, the modem answers after only one ring, which is an obvious problem if you want to leave the payphone connected to your phone line.

Kelpie

Well, I used the proper batteries to power the board and nothing works.  I am confident that the board is fried.

Does anyone know where I can get a board?  Will the AE board with the ringer work, and if so, how can I program it to dial out and accept all calls free?

vinhvinny

HELP! HELP!:

My Protel payphone only allow 7-digit dialing within the area code.

But something is funny here, I am in Atlanta (area code 404, 770,678) :  The home phone that Protel hooked up to has 770 area code.

The payphone is from Greenville/Spartanburg  SC 864 area code . For some reason, it only allows 678 area code 7-digit dialing. If I call 7 digit number it works fine but only within 678 area code.

I don't know how 678 area code came into the picture. However, my cell phone has 678 area code.

I can't dial neither 10-digit nor 1+10-digit number and when I do my phone line give message "I cannot complete your call as dialed"

Please note: when I enter programming a to set up 10 digit number, any number, it works.

In addition, I cannot access diagnostic test either , after dial 902 to enter, it gives error 11.

Please help me enable 10 digit dial outside of this 678 area code, which I did not set up.

And please help me figure error 11  inside diagnostic test.

Thank you thank you...

vinny

G-Man

Quote from: vinhvinny on April 28, 2015, 08:02:00 PM
HELP! HELP!:

My Protel payphone only allow 7-digit dialing within the area code.

But something is funny here, I am in Atlanta (area code 404, 770,678) :  The home phone that Protel hooked up to has 770 area code.

The payphone is from Greenville/Spartanburg  SC 864 area code . For some reason, it only allows 678 area code 7-digit dialing. If I call 7 digit number it works fine but only within 678 area code.

I don't know how 678 area code came into the picture. However, my cell phone has 678 area code.

I can't dial neither 10-digit nor 1+10-digit number and when I do my phone line give message "I cannot complete your call as dialed"

Please note: when I enter programming a to set up 10 digit number, any number, it works.

In addition, I cannot access diagnostic test either , after dial 902 to enter, it gives error 11.

Please help me enable 10 digit dial outside of this 678 area code, which I did not set up.

And please help me figure error 11  inside diagnostic test.

Thank you thank you...

vinny
Follow the instructions regarding the diagnostic test. Make sure that all of the stock Protel hardware is connected.
Also, you may need to upload a rate-base. If so, a Protel dealer resides on the ATCA list that may be able to assist you.

Payphone installer

Protel payphones in my opinion were the best smart set ever made. There are a whole host of models. There are cc firmware boards in the 300 series,they are no longer able to be programmed the firmware has been upgraded. The boards you want are the 2000 board, 6000 board, 7000 board or 8000 board. 2000 board and 6000 fits GTE style case. 7000 and 8000 fit western electric case. Protel boards have two batteries,one holds the memory one controls the relay. You can not program a Protel payphone without the software! The most you can do is cause it to default to its default program. This is done by disconnecting the lithium battery by moving the disconnect pin or removing the battery for 30 minutes or so. If the batteries are old or dead the chassis will not work. The relay ni-cad battery charges why you talk so if you have a phone you have to use it at least once a week. Later models have battery charge programs and also have codes you can dial to charge the batteries. 310 is one of the cheapest and troublesome board. But it will work. I still run about 250 payphones in the correction market.