News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Crimper?

Started by sebbel, September 29, 2013, 09:03:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sebbel

I found this tool Yesterday while pick a few tools. It looks like a  crimper of some sort. Anyone has seen one before?
Seb.

DavePEI

Hi Seb
:

Is there a number stamped on it anywhere, such as NE-424A or 424A or a KS number?

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

DavePEI

Hi Seb:

As a result of my yard sale find a week ago, I have been spending a lot of time looking through not only Northern Electric tool listings, and all the WE coded and non-coded tools listings on TCI - this doesn't look familiar at all.

It may not be Telco. The other thing that makes me think it may not be telco is the fancy designs on the tool - telcom tools were generally unadorned. One thought about it. Are you sure it isn't a shear? Try placing a wire coat hanger in it, operate the tool, and see what is does. My thinking is it might be a farm shear for barbed wire of something. Just an idea. I have seen a number of farm tools adorned in a similar manner...

Let me know if you can find a recognizable number on it...

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

AE_Collector

Yes that could be it Dave. It looks like it could chop wire but the 2 plier looking jaws don't look as though they are moved at all by squeezing the handles. But two ends of wire slid into that slot from either side would allow the tool to be used to twist the two pieces of wire together to make a good tight splice.

Terry

DavePEI

Quote from: AE_Collector on September 30, 2013, 12:52:39 AM
Yes that could be it Dave. It looks like it could chop wire but the 2 plier looking jaws don't look as though they are moved at all by squeezing the handles. But two ends of wire slid into that slot from either side would allow the tool to be used to twist the two pieces of wire together to make a good tight splice.

Terry
I am thinking it may be a device called a safety cutter. Barbed wire and similar has a tendency to spring back to the reel when cutting it, and by sliding it between the jaws and than cutting it within the jaws would catch the wire ends and keep it tamed :-)

It is only a guess, and only Sebbell can play with it to see what it does when he used it, but it is a possibility. Of course, it could still be Telco, but not of official design, possibly aftermarket manufacture, but the fancy design leads me to think it isn't...

The other thing I keep thinking of is a device which can be used to flute the ends of round furnace pipe so that one end can fit into the end of the next one. It would be used to crimp around the end of the pipe.

At any rate, it is definately an unusual tool!

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

sebbel

Quote from: DavePEI on September 30, 2013, 01:37:10 AM
At any rate, it is definately an unusual tool!

Its very pretty as far as tools go. I rarely buy tool but that one I really liked.  I'll try and jam various metal wires in it an see what it does. The tube fluting idea also seems good.

As far as being unusual I purchased this along with a Trephine and a Tonsil guillotine so I'd say this is the least unusual of the three. :)
Seb.

dycom

Hi everyone:
     My name is Bill Dyck and I have been collecting for about 12 years now.  I follow the forum and really enjoy the information that is shared about telephones.  I haven't posted before since I am not that good with a computer and don't want to clutter a good forum with mishaps etc.  Maybe diving in is the way to get better at it.
     This subject got my attention since I am pretty sure I know what this is--it is a saw set-it sets the pitch of a hand saw tooth when you have had it sharpened and want to bring the saw back to new cutting capability.  The saw is reversed ( I do believe ) after each pinch of the saw set to get the original pitch back after hard use. I believe that this is correct and would welcome confirmation from someone else or would also welcome info that showed I was wrong and I would learn something new. Looking forward to thoughts.

DavePEI

Quote from: dycom on September 30, 2013, 09:49:07 PM
Hi everyone:
    My name is Bill Dyck and I have been collecting for about 12 years now.  I follow the forum and really enjoy the information that is shared about telephones.  I haven't posted before since I am not that good with a computer and don't want to clutter a good forum with mishaps etc.  Maybe diving in is the way to get better at it.
    This subject got my attention since I am pretty sure I know what this is--it is a saw set-it sets the pitch of a hand saw tooth when you have had it sharpened and want to bring the saw back to new cutting capability.  The saw is reversed ( I do believe ) after each pinch of the saw set to get the original pitch back after hard use. I believe that this is correct and would welcome confirmation from someone else or would also welcome info that showed I was wrong and I would learn something new. Looking forward to thoughts.
Sounds as though you have hit the nail on the head. Have a look at:

http://members.acmenet.net/~con12a/saw%20set%20website/european.htm

Halfway down the page (Unmarked saw set nicely made with checkering)!

Atta Boy, Bill! Welcome to the Forum!

Now, this could be a fun little member contest - I usually can get Telco tools, but when they stray away from Telco, I am at a disadvantage.

If anyone posts an more oddball tools, we could have fun figuring out what they were for!
C*NET 1-651-0001

TelePlay

Quote from: dycom on September 30, 2013, 09:49:07 PM
Hi everyone:
    My name is Bill Dyck and I have been collecting for about 12 years now.  I follow the forum and really enjoy the information that is shared about telephones.  I haven't posted before since I am not that good with a computer and don't want to clutter a good forum with mishaps etc.

Bill, welcome to the forum and please add to it anytime. Your knowledge and questions will add to the value of this venue.

AE_Collector

Well, that's embarrasing! I think I have one of these somewhere, it was my dad's. I don't think it looks quite as fancy but does the same job.

Thanks for solving it Bill, I knew I would get you on here somehow .. . one day. Bill lives in Kelowna BC Canada and though I haven't seen his collection in person (I will before too much longer), from the pictures I have seen and from the ebaY auctions that Bill has walked off with as the winner, it is amazing!

Only remaining comment Bill is...if it weren't for my *darn* smartphone acting up you wouldn't have snagged that BarGoon on the AE chrome from Grant out from under me! Of course I didn't know I was bidding against you, all that I knew was that my last minute bid snagged somewhere in my smartphone while the auction expired.  >:(

Stay in touch...

Terry

dycom

Thanks for the welcome.  I am happy I was correct in identifying the  "crimper".  I didn't know that it was  Grant with the AE goodies for sale and was quite surprised when I won for that low bid  Terry--I realised who it was when the invoice came.  By the way I did bid quite a bit higher but the snipe ended where it did.
    Dave in PEI--really want to see your museum--hope I can convince the wife to go that way next year and will be in touch before I leave.  Might have to wait for the next 70 mile yard sale now that I know about it.

AE_Collector

Dave needs a new gas line welded up to feed his house if that helps your cause Bill!

Terry

DavePEI

Quote from: dycom on September 30, 2013, 11:28:57 PM
Dave in PEI--really want to see your museum--hope I can convince the wife to go that way next year and will be in touch before I leave.  Might have to wait for the next 70 mile yard sale now that I know about it.

Hi Bill:

Love to have you come and visit. Now, if only we could talk that rascal Terry into coming too. He has helped out with tons of stuff ever since I opened the museum, so now I have known him for a lot of years now, and I still haven't met him in person!

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001