News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

GTE/AE Modular connectors

Started by markosjal, May 01, 2022, 04:48:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markosjal

Anyone else remember these extra long modular Plugs on AE Phones?

Were these different due to a WE Patent issue or something?

I'll post a link to a current auction on ebay then post the final pic in that listing here .

https://www.ebay.com/itm/203444450016
Phat Phantom's phreaking phone phettish

RotoTech99

I can't say for sure, but I think Harris/Dracon made long plugs like that... Sometime in the 70's GTE adopted the modular plugs we know today.

RotoTech99

Jon Kolger

I worked I&R for GTE for 30 years and probably installed thousands of AE phones, but I never saw a modular plug like that one.  It might be some sort of aftermarket plug.  Some of the Harris/Dracon test plugs that you would use to clip your test set onto looked similar to that.

compubit

The modular cables I recall down in suburban Dallas (Carrollton/Lewisville) had longer plugs, and stuck out from the modular jack about and 1/8-1/4 inch. AT&T plugs were flush with the front edge of the jack, and were a pain to get out - as the retracting clip was effectively inside the jack and needed some sort of tool (small screwdriver) to get the plug out (i.e., the jacks, while modular, were deeper than normal AT&T jacks...)
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

RotoTech99

If a manufacturer still made those "long body" modular plugs, I wouldn't mind having some...

I've never seen a manufacturer's mark on them, so my guess would be either AE made them, or they had a company like General Cable or Shuttle produce them.

RotoTech99

markosjal

Quote from: Jon Kolger on May 01, 2022, 10:35:22 PMI worked I&R for GTE for 30 years and probably installed thousands of AE phones, but I never saw a modular plug like that one.  It might be some sort of aftermarket plug.  Some of the Harris/Dracon test plugs that you would use to clip your test set onto looked similar to that.

This type of connector was very common here in the parts of the Portland, OR outlying areas that were AE/GTE land. They always seemed "clumsy"  the way they stuck out of the jack more. In fact this is the kind of GTE/AE connector that I remember seeing when modular plugs came into use. Later the larger plugs seemed to disappear.
Phat Phantom's phreaking phone phettish

Kellogg Kitt

I had a phone (I think it was a Starlite.) with one of these plugs a long time ago.  The cord had clear sheathing with silver-colored wires inside.  That cord, along with the brownish orange plug, made an ugly sight.

Before reading this thread, I had no idea that they might have been made in that color.  I just assumed that it originally was clear, and then something bad happened to discolor it.  That might be why I hated it so much; it just looked unclean.

Wade

G-Man

Quote from: markosjal on May 01, 2022, 04:48:55 PMAnyone else remember these extra long modular Plugs on AE Phones?

Were these different due to a WE Patent issue or something?

I'll post a link to a current auction on ebay then post the final pic in that listing here .

https://www.ebay.com/itm/203444450016
The following link is to an excerpt from a larger, 25-page GTE Practice.

It may provide an insight regarding GTE/General Telephone's initial foray into modular jacks.

]

Kellogg Kitt

Quote from: G-Man on August 01, 2023, 11:36:14 PMGTE/General Telephone's initial foray into modular jacks.

"The original miniature plugs and jacks manufactured by GTE AE were designed to be incompatible with those manufactured by the Bell System."

Why does that not surprise me?  GTE/AE always went its own way.

It is amazing that 4-prong plugs and jacks and the red-green-yellow wire colors were standardized among all manufacturers.  It would be interesting to know the history of how that happened.

Wade

G-Man

Quote from: Kellogg Kitt on August 08, 2023, 07:20:31 PM"The original miniature plugs and jacks manufactured by GTE AE were designed to be incompatible with those manufactured by the Bell System."

Why does that not surprise me?  GTE/AE always went its own way.

It is amazing that 4-prong plugs and jacks and the red-green-yellow wire colors were standardized among all manufacturers.  It would be interesting to know the history of how that happened.

The reason was not arbitrary, but so that only instruments sold through General Telephone Phone Marts could readily be connected. Thus the profits benefited the AECo/GTE, and their associated GTC companies.

The FCC put an end to that and ordered the entire industry to standardize on one (Bell) standard.

On a different topic; as far as 4-prong jacks, during their heyday, Kellogg, Stromberg-Carlson, AECo/General Telephone, Leich and other manufacturers used their own color codes for connecting them until the 500-set was adapted by most of the industry.

G-Man

Quote from: G-Man on August 08, 2023, 07:40:23 PMThe reason was not arbitrary, but so that only instruments sold through General Telephone Phone Marts could readily be connected. Thus the profits benefited the AECo/GTE, and their associated GTC companies.

The FCC put an end to that and ordered the entire industry to standardize on one (Bell) standard.

On a different topic; as far as 4-prong jacks, during their heyday, Kellogg, Stromberg-Carlson, AECo/General Telephone, Leich and other manufacturers used their own color codes for connecting them until the 500-set was adapted by most of the industry.

I've had a couple of emails telling me that they are unable to open on their computer, the link that I provided to the GTE Practice.

Instead of sending a jpeg only to them, I am going to attempt to include it in this post as well:

allnumbedup

I found several of these aftermarket modular connectors.  I think the T&B logo might indicate Thomas and Betts, a company with telecommunication roots back to the 1890's according to their website:

http://europe.tnb.com/ps/pubeuro/index.cgi?a=heritage

The connector is three part with a hinged locking collar on the one piece.  The wires look to be secured with apush-down rather than a crimper tool.  I have CAT5 type and four lead RJ11 phone type so am betting these are only as old as maybe the 1980's?
Analog Phones for a Digital World

paul-f

Quote from: G-Man on August 09, 2023, 11:29:27 PMI've had a couple of emails telling me that they are unable to open on their computer, the link that I provided to the GTE Practice.

Instead of sending a jpeg only to them, I am going to attempt to include it in this post as well:

In general, it's preferable to post search links, made from a few keywords from the title rather than posting the entire link from the browser. In this case:

https://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/search?q=GSP+491-300-110

instead of:

https://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/browse/document-repository/gsps-gen-tel/491-division/786-gsp-491-300-110-i2-miniature-bridged-jacks-page-one?highlight=WyJnc3AiLCJnc3AncyJd

This technique also has the benefit of having a link in the forum that probably won't go dead in a future TCI Library software upgrade.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line