News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Three Slot WE Payphone Need Help

Started by RoatryPhoneLover_2000, September 09, 2022, 09:19:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RoatryPhoneLover_2000

It sounded like the speaker buzzed for a second and then went dead.  Calling it doesn't.

RoatryPhoneLover_2000

Hi all, I have been playing around with the phone for the last hour and I realized that on the dial the wires had been removed from their terminals and I guessed connected it.  I also checked my cable using another phone and when I hooked it up I got a nice strong dial tone.  I believe I reversed the red and green.  But when I called it a got a busy signal and you could hear the beeping tone but after trying some things and no avail nothing.  Even when I switched it to the setup that was working no dial tone.  I forget to ask does three slots need money to hear a dial tone even on a home line?

poplar1

Here is the diagram for an original 193G:

https://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/browse/bsps-bell-system/bsp-categories-by-early-letter-code-by-doc/c-series-station-installation-and-maintenance/c39-coin-stations/11899-c39-115-i2-nov58-coin-collectors-postpay-193g-h-198g-h-community-dial-office-service-cb-conn-ocr-op-r/file
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is one picture:  See reply #44. Note that this model did not have the usual coin relay.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=12514.msg133640#msg133640

The 193G originally had an F1-type handset. The cradle to hold the handset was black. Looks like yours is chrome under the orange paint. The chrome cradle was for a G-type handset.  You may want to obtain an F1 handset even if it will not be a perfect fit for the cradle.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

RoatryPhoneLover_2000

Hi all, I didn't use the network and I looked all over google and I saw somebody selling one of these Payphone on eBay and it said it was a working phone removed from a landline and I hooked the Payphone directly up to my line and I get a very faint dial tone and I can't dial out.  Thanks for all your help I can't believe I got to a point where I could get a dial tone.  If I could get the dial to dial out and get a normal dial tone that would be great and yes my line supports pulse dialing I have a Verizon LandLine.

RoatryPhoneLover_2000

I have two questions first is how to open the vault door with a blank cover.  Second 2 is why doenst the hook switch pop up when the receiver is lifted when the phone is closed?  It works fine when the cover is off.  And what could be causing my problem with the phone with getting a faint dial tone and not dialing out?  Also I hooked it up to a pulse to tone convter and it looks like the one dials out but the rest of the numbers it ignores.  And I was able to get something out of the 8 or 7 but other then that it will not dial out.  What could be causing my problem?

FABphones

Quote from: RoatryPhoneLover_2000 on September 11, 2022, 02:52:41 PMI have two questions first is how to open the vault door with a blank cover...

In my experience these are held on with a spring to rear and just pull away.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

RoatryPhoneLover_2000

Can somebody please help me out?  I am confused on how this wired and I really need help with the wiring and I want it to work again. 

TelePlay

We don't know how your phone is wired. A list of "from" "to" for every wire in your phone would be a good start.

For example, what or which terminals on the phone are connected to the handset conductors?

The dial?

The induction coil?

The capacitors?

The line cord?

Any other wires or component connections?

Your payphone does not have a ringer. It only has the talk circuit which when wired correctly works with the induction coil and talk capacitor to carry on a conversation.

The dial is placed in the talk circuit to sit idle until a number is dialed during which time the talk circuit is muted by the dial muting leaf switches (prevents dialing pops from being heard) while sending dial pulses (the opening and closing of the dial pulsing leaf switches) on the talk circuit back to the central office. When the dial stops, the dial un-mutes the talk circuit so a conversation can take place with the called phone.

This is simple but complex circuitry and to work properly, each conductors must be on the correct terminals. Unless you tell us what components are in your phone and how they are currently wired together, it is impossible to tell you how to fix or correct the wiring to get the phone working properly.

You have a circuit like that used in a 302 telephone but cut into a circuit initially designed for a fully functional pay phone. How that was done is unknown to anyone but you who has the phone in front of you and can tell us how it is now wired.

Not a simple or easy task, to diagram your phone, but essential if you want one of the forum circuit experts to diagnose your phone and come up with the correct wiring connections.

RoatryPhoneLover_2000

What's a good start to figure out wiring in this mess of a phone?

TelePlay

You are not figuring it out, you would be stating exactly how the phone is currently wired so someone can help you straighten out the "mess."

On the other hand, you could remove every wire in the phone and use a 302 wiring diagram to wire it correctly. Start from scratch and create a working phone circuit.

There is a whole forum board that covers 302 (a phone that uses a 101A induction coil) wiring diagrams that can be used to wire your phone from scratch, where to connect the handset, dial, condensers, hook switch, induction coil and line cord.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?board=18.0

Your choice. No one can help you with your existing wiring unless you tell us how it is wired.

RoatryPhoneLover_2000

Ok.  Lemme find a blank 193G board and I will be making arrows as well as stating where which were goes where it's going to be time consuming but then you guys would be able to help me out right?

RoatryPhoneLover_2000

If you mind me asking do you have a wiring diagram of a blank 193g?

RoatryPhoneLover_2000

Is it ok if I write down which wire goes to where or should I write it down and put some sort of diagram?

FABphones

Reading through this thread I think it has gone as far as it can with the information provided.

As per the good advice above, if you want to move forward you need to draw out exactly how your phone is currently wired.

Quote from: RoatryPhoneLover_2000 on September 11, 2022, 10:35:56 PMWhat's a good start to figure out wiring in this mess of a phone?

Select a wire and note down where it begins and terminates. Do that with every wire. Drawing a schematic will help clarify.

Or remove all the wiring, clean the phone up (removing the paint so you can clearly read the terminals would be a good start) and put a complete new wiring harness in following a schematic as suggested above.

Yes it will be time consuming.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble