News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Landline alternative?

Started by RJ.rotary, September 24, 2022, 03:39:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RJ.rotary

Hello, I've been away from the hobby for a while, but now I want to connect three telephones in a new home with three jacks, but without subscribing to landline service. I've seen devices come and go, some better than others. What's the latest best device to accomplish this simply and inexpensively? Thank you in advance.

RJ.rotary

Alright, let me attempt it this way: For those of you who have telephones connected to your home jacks, without landline service, how are you doing it?

TelePlay

I use a Panasonic 616 PBX mounted on a basement wall that connects all of my rotary phones to my digital phone service.

A lot of info on that type of PBX here:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?board=62.0

Others use ADAs or stuff like Xlink, lot of VOIP topics on the forum:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?board=57.0

dsk

If you want to call out or answer on your rotaries, the X-link BT is a pretty good alternative, you just put your cellphone close to the unit and connect via Bluetooth and you may call out, and receive calls on your rotary  phones just as i it was a landline.
You may find cheaper options, but X-link updates the software for free, and mine has been working for more than 10 years, and has been working better when it has been updated, and when I got a better cellphone. Of-course it will work well together with e.g. a Panasonic KTX PBX.  Another alternative to line is a voip line with an adapter and a pulse-tone converter, but then you need another number, net expensive, but it it cost a little.

HarrySmith

I also use the Panasonic PBX. Been working great for years.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

RJ.rotary

I feel it'll be helpful if I explain my situation. I have a new home which is being completed. It'll have an RJ11 in the main area and one in each of the two bedrooms. There will be no external connection to a landline provider. I want to connect a rotary phone to each of the three jacks.

I watched YouTube videos about the 616 and other Panasonic PBX's. While it's a cool concept, I believe that  for the simple set up that I'm seeking, it's overkill.

I had heard of X-link, but in reading about it in the VOIP, Asterisk, C*NET, NPSTN, XLink, etc section, the consensus appears to be that while adequate, it's better in theory than in practice.

Then there's Ooma. The device has only one RJ11, but my understanding is that it can be connected to a dual to single jack, so that a phone can be connected next to the device. This will then allow the other two jacks in the house to function using Ooma. Someone please correct me if I'm mistaken.

I'm grateful and look forward to your continued input.

Note: I sorta think this thread should be moved to the VOIP, Asterisk, C*NET, NPSTN, XLink, etc section.

RJ.rotary

I thought that I could simply swap out the singular RJ11 wall plate for a dual jack, but it seems that the two are not connected in the back and remain separate. Is there a way for it to work without running additional wiring?

dsk

Just remove the screws on red and green on both, move both green wires to the same screw  and fix it, then do the same with red. Connect the wire to those.

RJ.rotary

Quote from: dsk on September 27, 2022, 01:34:14 AMJust remove the screws on red and green on both, move both green wires to the same screw  and fix it, then do the same with red. Connect the wire to those.

It's really simple! I greatly appreciate your patience with someone new.

dsk

Quote from: RJ.rotary on September 27, 2022, 11:18:14 PMIt's really simple! I greatly appreciate your patience with someone new.
That's the best way to keep new members to be ... and probably get more.
We need to get more people interested in old phones. :);) ;)

TelePlay

Quote from: RJ.rotary on September 26, 2022, 10:20:09 PMI thought that I could simply swap out the singular RJ11 wall plate for a dual jack, but it seems that the two are not connected in the back and remain separate.

What you have there is a 2 line wall jack, essential for home office rooms needing one line for a telephone and another line for a computer modem, or a fax machine, or a second telephone (personal and business numbers) - 80's home office set up.

Times have changed with WiFi.

dsk explained the fix to make that one a 1 line 2 jack wall connector.

markosjal

I just wanted to post here a newer development that I think many of us knew was coming.

My brother has had a USWest/Qwest/centuryLink copper line (and lately with DSL)   for many years. He recently received a notification that he should "upgrade" to Fiber optic. Instead he questioned the need for him to have internet at all, as he does not use it, and his son is now grown. So he canceled internet altogether. He received a service order change in the mail as if all was well.

Then his line went dead.

He spent WEEKS talking to Century Link before a Technician finally told home "we are removing the copper infrastructure in your neighborhood", and "your copper line had to be disconnected".

OOPS!

So now we are one month into trying to port his number out. With two different providers. That number it seems although CenturyLink does not admit it they apparently have it in some state that prevents it from being ported out easily although the bill is paid, but there is no physical connection to his house anymore.

I have a number from someone at CenturyLink that is willing to talk to the new provider and help the port to happen, but these voip companies that port in refuse to call.

It sucks so if you have a copper line on CenturyLink your time has run out get it ported to VoIP.

Unfortunately this happened in the middle of taking my PortlandTel.com web site down for a massive upgrade (now it is back up but half broken).

The demand to get these numbers ported locally seems high right now and I find that many are abandoning CenturyLink all together in favor of Comcast Xfinity which is the competition here locally.

Just a warning to you , and if I can be some help in getting you some replacement service that is antique phone friendly with high power ringing and Pulse dialing support, I will be happy to do so.

Mark

http://portlandtel.com
+1 503 773 6519
Phat Phantom's phreaking phone phettish

markosjal

I thought I would add....

I recently started testing a $5.99 per month service that gives you unlimited   Residential/SOHO USA and Canada Calling and a USA or Canada number, and 911 service  for $5.99 USD per month (Plus tax if you are in Canada only) .

You can use an existing VoIP device (BYOD) or buy one from them.

So Far so good but testing is by no means complete nor in depth.

http://vbuzzer.com

Mark

Time will tell how well it works, and I will try to post updates.

markosjal

I have now tested VBuzzer now on three different accounts. I ported in existing family and friends numbers at NO COST and have now some months experience using a Grandstream HT802.

For the purposes of this forum this solution on the Grandstream HT802 support shigh ring power and rotary dialing!

One of these users 2 antique rotary phones with mechanical ringers and 2 different cordless phones.  There is no issue ringing all simultaneously.

Vbuzzer is also now including 60 minutes to some international destination in this same package for $5.99.

It works pretty darn well once all set up.

Mark

ChrisW6ATV

Thank you for that information, Mark. I will check it out, in case I eventually lose my real phone line too.