News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

I installed a new telephone outlet today

Started by mrbugsir, March 11, 2014, 04:26:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrbugsir

I had crafted a bizarre but functional telephone line adapter but it looked terrible, with unused wires sticking out like an early Dr. Who episode. So I took the time and installed a new telephone outlet at my desk. Problem solved.

WesternElectricBen

Very nice, I too, use old outlets.

Pic 1: Jack removed from aunts house. (split off)
Pic 2: Hardwired jack, which connects payphone and 4 prong jack. (split off+connect up)
Pic 3: 4 prong jack, connected to the Hardwired jack. (connect up)

Notice, how it looks kind of ugly, with the running method, ideally, I would put them through the wall, or at least under the baseboard. Yet, my carpet and baseboard are there for good, with no wiggle room.

Ben

Owain

I'm pulling off all my skirting boards, adding  a batten along the top edge, then putting them back. This means that there is space behind to run cables.

If you run a knife blade along the top edge to break the seal, they usually lever off with little damage to the decoration.

Also I can get 4 pairs down a Cat5e cable, so the 2 x 4-gang Cat5e outlets in the master bedroom should be good for, um, 32 phones?

twocvbloke

I keep meaning to install phone sockets through the house, but I forget to... ;D

The main ones being one in the living room and one up here in my room (two technically one for ADSL, the other for phone), though as we now have a trio of cordless phones (not my choosing), that's kind of not really needed, so, even less reason to remember... ;D