News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Bell System tools

Started by Whitcrane76, April 01, 2019, 07:00:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whitcrane76

I really want to know all the different tools that were used by the Bell System over the years. Let's see what you got! I'll start.

Whitcrane76

Also, if anybody sees anything you want or need, if I have a duplicate I will make trades. But, I do not sell anything.

Whitcrane76

Babybearjs

the only tools I have are the yellow and green punch down tool for the 66 blocks, the bulb extractor tool and just the basics.. plus the butt sets and a toner... nothing clearly marked as WE
John

Key2871

I don't have any tools compared to what you have.. mostly test stuff, and a few hand tools. Poor guys sitting in the cold, winter supposed to be spring weather..
Maybe today I'll trudge out to the shed and lay them out.
KEN

19and41

I have a test set similar to the one on your table, nearest the upper edge in the group of 4.  I also have 2 yankee push drills similar to those used by linemen, though not Bell issue.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Whitcrane76

Quote from: Key2871 on April 05, 2019, 08:25:50 AM
I don't have any tools compared to what you have.. mostly test stuff, and a few hand tools. Poor guys sitting in the cold, winter supposed to be spring weather..
Maybe today I'll trudge out to the shed and lay them out.
Pictures when you do!
This site is like a museum, so much to look at and I want to see more.

Whitcrane76

Saw with keys for scale

Key2871

This is all I have left for telephone tools.
Harris butt set, tone probe, punch tool, can wrench, 553A lamp removal tools test shoe for M blocks, cable tester for 25 pair, T18 stapler, splice kit with crimped, and a multi block test Jack four pair, a tool to pull wires from blocks, a couple breakout adapters, the ABN clip to modular adapter I made.
And a 21107 L1 tool from Western Electric, oh and my three in one modular crimper. My timer burned out, so I haven't replaced it.
KEN

Key2871

The Harris is a TS 22AL, in great condition, the butt set was modified to eliminate the coin cell for the Amplifier so everything runs off the 9 volt battery contained in the end. The cable scanner checks each wire pair for continuity and polarity.
Can be set for fast slow, or manual scan. Years ago, I had a TS 20 butt set, a blue Bell System, and Yellow Bell System set with CO cords set, with ABN, and the cord with switch board type plugs on it. The very clunky yellow AT&T dog bone set, or as some installers called them, wheel choks.
Two older toners, the older bell green yellow punch tool, with several tips, including the modular wall Jack tip. Pliers, diag cutters, first aid kits, manuals, ordering catalogs for station aperattis sets, color change kits, cords, all sorts of things related to customer sets.
Missing from the shot is my AMP butterfly tool for cable ends. Picture coming soon.
KEN

Whitcrane76

Quote from: Key2871 on April 07, 2019, 03:26:28 PM
The Harris is a TS 22AL, in great condition, the butt set was modified to eliminate the coin cell for the Amplifier so everything runs off the 9 volt battery contained in the end. The cable scanner checks each wire pair for continuity and polarity.
Can be set for fast slow, or manual scan. Years ago, I had a TS 20 butt set, a blue Bell System, and Yellow Bell System set with CO cords set, with ABN, and the cord with switch board type plugs on it. The very clunky yellow AT&T dog bone set, or as some installers called them, wheel choks.
Two older toners, the older bell green yellow punch tool, with several tips, including the modular wall Jack tip. Pliers, diag cutters, first aid kits, manuals, ordering catalogs for station aperattis sets, color change kits, cords, all sorts of things related to customer sets.
Missing from the shot is my AMP butterfly tool for cable ends. Picture coming soon.
I've never seen the cable scanner before, I like it.
I do love the old a-bug probes, I've got a 6 of them in a drawer at work that have quit over the years.
They are hard to kill.

Key2871

I actually plucked that from a dumpster at the CO, years ago.
I didn't think it worked, but it was better than my other one that quit some time ago. So I cleaned this one up and it works perfectly. Yes I've dropped this too many times from a ladder and it's still going. Even has a spare tip inside.
KEN

AT2796

That's some cool stuff there.
I really like the line construction wood working tools (3rd pic), that pole shave is a mean mother trucker if you've ever had to use one.
I'll see if I can snag a pic or 2 of my favorite old tools at work. Some of the old stuff just works too well so it can't be in a collection if I'm still using it.
If you can get your hands on a 2 69 dated bell wrench, I'll send you an earlier dated one.
Andy

Whitcrane76

Quote from: AT2796 on July 11, 2019, 07:28:53 PM
That's some cool stuff there.
I really like the line construction wood working tools (3rd pic), that pole shave is a mean mother trucker if you've ever had to use one.
I'll see if I can snag a pic or 2 of my favorite old tools at work. Some of the old stuff just works too well so it can't be in a collection if I'm still using it.
If you can get your hands on a 2 69 dated bell wrench, I'll send you an earlier dated one.

Not sure how I missed this post but I did. If you've got anything old, I'd like to see it.
As far as the wrenches go, I'll have to check and see what I've got, I have several.

Argee

I need to lay out my tools and take a picture.  I'll try to do that soon.