News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Wrong way cords

Started by jsowers, July 30, 2015, 02:11:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jsowers

We've all seen modular phones where someone hooked the handset cord to the mounting cord jack, but has anyone seen a hard-wired 500 with the mounting and handset cords reversed? As in coming out of the wrong holes? I just spotted this in an auction and I have to wonder if a) someone hooked both cords to the wrong screws and strain reliefs or b) if some hard-headed repair person actually stretched the cords the opposite way around, and why? You would think it would be plainly obvious where they go, but I guess not.

Or do you think this could have been done by a leftie who got tired of trying to hold the handset in his right hand and dial with the cord draped across the dial, with his left hand? It's a puzzler.

The seller says she sees no reason why the phone wouldn't work.  :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271944266898
Jonathan

NorthernElectric

There's plenty of time left in the auction to request a photo of the internals.
Cliff

andre_janew

That would be the way to find out if the cords are hooked to the right terminals even though they are coming out the wrong holes. 

TelePlay

Quote from: jsowers on July 30, 2015, 02:11:33 PM
We've all seen modular phones where someone hooked the handset cord to the mounting cord jack, but has anyone seen a hard-wired 500 with the mounting and handset cords reversed? As in coming out of the wrong holes? I just spotted this in an auction and I have to wonder if a) someone hooked both cords to the wrong screws and strain reliefs or b) if some hard-headed repair person actually stretched the cords the opposite way around, and why? You would think it would be plainly obvious where they go, but I guess not.

Or do you think this could have been done by a leftie who got tired of trying to hold the handset in his right hand and dial with the cord draped across the dial, with his left hand? It's a puzzler.

The seller says she sees no reason why the phone wouldn't work.

Are you willing to part with $52 to find out?  ;)

Interesting that none of the listing photos show the wall end of the line cord. Looks strategically hidden in each different view of the phone. If it's cut off, that would be one possible reason why it might not work . . .

jsowers

Quote from: TelePlay on July 30, 2015, 07:31:14 PM
Are you willing to part with $52 to find out?  ;) 

Heck, no! For a faded white 500?

Also, I hesitate to ask the seller to open the phone and take pictures because she might not be able to get the housing back on with all that misrouted cordage. I'm content to just wonder how someone could get them mixed up.
Jonathan

Phonesrfun

-Bill G

twocvbloke

There's a "Make offer" button there, low-balling them might make the seller realise it's not worth what they're asking... ;D

andre_janew

Just made an offer of $12.  Now someone will probably snatch it up for the asking price!

andre_janew

The seller just made a counter offer of $25.  Does anyone think it is worth that?  Personally, I have my doubts!

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: andre_janew on August 03, 2015, 10:58:43 PM
The seller just made a counter offer of $25.  Does anyone think it is worth that?  Personally, I have my doubts!
Well, is it worth that to you? For a phone like this, it all comes down to how much you would want to have it for. It would be interesting to see how the cords were done inside!
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford