and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Red Phones

Started by Adam, September 16, 2010, 11:26:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

finlover

Quote from: mienaichizu on September 24, 2010, 08:41:10 PM
I am always amazed on how you refinish your phones
Thanks a million, meinaichizu!  It just takes a lot of sanding, polishing and buffing--the trick is knowing when to stop sanding... ;D

Kenny C

ha that always been a easy #to remember i dunno why.
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

easytiger

My one and only.  I'm a fool for a phone with vents.  Recently outfitted with a genuine Extensicord, still looking for information or photos of original AE40 line/mounting cords (see referenced thread)...baby could use a cord.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=3414.0

Easy, Tiger..."it's life...you don't figure it out.  You just climb up on the beast and RIDE."  --Vivi, "Divine Secrets"

Kenny C

Here is what my parents are getting me + a lap top  ;D
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

JorgeAmely

Quote from: easytiger on September 24, 2010, 11:06:39 PM
... My one and only ...

Aaaah, a red AE40 with chrome bands. One of my favorite phones. Usually they go for 4 figures on ebay. I wish I had one in that color. Instead, I have one in ivory. I have attached a picture below.

Jorge

JorgeAmely

Quote from: Kennyc1955 on September 24, 2010, 11:10:01 PM
Here is what my parents are getting me + a lap top  ;D

Congratulations on your soft plastic red WE500. I like the numbers card a lot!
Jorge

Kenny C

I LOVE it. I am getting it for a great price too
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

finlover

OH MAMA--those colored AE40s have got my number!!!

Doug Rose

My one and only.  I'm a fool for a phone with vents.  Recently outfitted with a genuine Extensicord, still looking for information or photos of original AE40 line/mounting cords (see referenced thread)...baby could use a cord.

Absolutely stunning! What is the story behind it? Did you reurb this? Breathtaking....Doug
Kidphone

easytiger

Quote from: Kidphone on September 25, 2010, 07:15:11 AM

Absolutely stunning! What is the story behind it? Did you reurb this? Breathtaking....Doug

Thanks, Doug...although, other than recognizing its virtues and some recent attention to a detail or two, it's pretty much the way I found it.

I bought it at a vintage shop in the Mountain West when I was a struggling college student 20 years ago.  I grew up in a very remote small town in Mountain Bell/Western Electric territory.  I'd never seen anything like it, but I knew it was..."special".  I forget the price – other than it was more than I had.  I think probably somewhere moderately over $100 or so.  I know I went without a couple meals and a tank of gas or two or something to swing it at the time.

I had no idea what a Automatic Electric was.  Growing up, everyone I knew had the standard WE 500 or 554 - except one fancy family in town who had a Princess, and one lady with a funny-lookin' blue phone I now know was a stowaway AE80 (where that came from in remote Western Electric territory I have no idea!)

It's moved many times with me – including across the country.  It's always worked, except for my chronic struggles with the rattle of a ring it always had.  Finding this forum a couple months ago, I learned it had a frequency ringer of course (something else about which I had no idea).  So, save the recent straight-line ringer and Extensicord replacement, and addition of the pick-up bar, she remains as she always was.  It has what I believe is a WE line/mounting cord, so that's my next replacement to tackle.

Never out to have "a collection", back in those college days I found myself picking-up sets I found in thrift stores and garage sales here and there (hard-luck $7.00 Princesses or low-ball 302's, etc.) – just things I liked or that were outside of my growing-up experience.  My friends thought I was crazy, of course... sorta  like the Barbara Mandrell "I Was Country When Country Wasn't Cool" story...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NN50ZU6jVwM

Now I'm finding some gems (although needing attention) in 20 year old storage boxes that I forgot I even had that will be some good Winter projects to get (as Matchbox 20 would say) "Back 2 Good" .  In the mix a ivory 354 (vents!), a black Princess, and a beat-up 1937 manual metal 302 that has all the elements including the rear hand hold vents!  Who knew!?   Did I mention I'm a fool for vents?  ;)

I'm most drawn to the designs of the AE40 or 302/354 era – designs that have some actual architectural elements in them. 

Wow, I'm sorry... I got off in the weeds.  Somewhere in there is my Red Phone story...

Easy, Tiger..."it's life...you don't figure it out.  You just climb up on the beast and RIDE."  --Vivi, "Divine Secrets"

JorgeAmely

Easytiger:

Mine has a 1954 black rubber WE cord. From the Steve Hilsz collection. For convenience, I added a 283B plug. I keep it in the lower shelf of a bookcase, away from bright sunlight and fluorescent lamps.
Jorge

Doug Rose

I go back and forth, which one do I like better, the Ivory or the Red. Sorry DEAD HEAT. These are two of the most amazing phones I have ever seen. You both should be very proud. I am a tad envious, but just a tad! Great phones....Doug
Kidphone

AE_Collector

Hey, you guys have posted pictures of my entire colored 40 collection...a red one and an Ivory one. Only problem is that, as usual, yours blow mine out of the water...but I love them all the same.

Easytiger: I'd go for a black cloth 3 conductor AE cord for your red 40 since it is a black (isn't it?) ExtensiCord on the handset. I'm sure you can get a very nice "new" AECo cloth cord from Old phone Works (that's who is making Odis cords now isn't it?).

Of course you will then be looking for a black bakelite AECo mounting block for the end of the cord!

Terry

easytiger

Jorge:  I keep the red 40 right out in the room with me!  Especially after all those years without a straight-line, I like to hear her ring proper now.  Agreed,  no sun or fluorescents, though.

Checking further, the current line/mounting cord has no Western Electric or date markings on the retainers, so I guess maybe not a WE cord after all, but it sure looks like WE.  Nice fat black pliable rubber - long with red, green and yellow leads.  It's a good cord...it just seems a little out of place.

Terry:   Thanks for the suggestion...black cloth seems right.  I think Bingster also alluded to cloth probably being a more symmetrical pairing with the Extensicord in the original thread with my AE cord question.

P.S.  anybody have a black bakelite AECo mounting block? (Thanks alot, Terry!)  :-\

JorgeAmely

A mounting block like this?
Jorge