"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Journey to 3 different Telephone Displays

Started by ....., July 10, 2017, 08:12:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarrySmith

Quote from: Stubbypylon on July 15, 2017, 07:38:39 AM
Thanks Doug. I have two 3 Box Blakes and it looked like there was one at the Bell Canada display as well.  However the Blake candlestick is far more scarce and would have been great to see in the flesh.  Here's a picture of one in use.

HUH?? Where is it??
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Stubbypylon

Quote from: HarrySmith on July 15, 2017, 08:16:16 AM
HUH?? Where is it??
On the roll top desk behind him, just above his left shoulder.
Craig Stanowski

HarrySmith

AHH, ok, you must have a sharp eye to pick that out!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

We came across this lonely phone booth last Sunday while driving the Cabot Trail on Cape Breton Island in Nova Scotia. We never made it to the Alexander Graham Bell National Historic Site. I was following the GPS and the highway sign said to cut off here for the site, but the GPS said go to next cut off. The GPS never failed me before, so I went to the next exit thinking it was a short cut and it ended up taking me to a field, It was getting late so we turned around and headed to the next motel on our itinerary. After we arrived at the motel, I checked the GPS, some how I put the wrong address in.  :o  So I'll post the pictures of this lonely booth instead.  ::)

TelePlay

Quote from: Duffy on July 18, 2017, 05:58:57 AM
We came across this lonely phone booth last Sunday while driving the Cabot Trail on Cape Breton Island in Nova Scotia.

I would guess that there isn't a cell phone network installed in that remote area of NS so the payphone is THE area phone?

And here's Rusty himself . . .

HarrySmith

WOW! That brought back a lot of memeories! Many, many years ago when I was aorund 13 or 14 yeasr old my family took a vacation to Nova Scotia. Loaded up the brand new 1974 Toyota Corona MKII station wagon that my step dad just picked up from the dealer with way too much camping gear and drove. Stopped in Maine a few times, took the ferry across and spent over a week driing the whole trail and camping along the way. What a great trip, Is still remember it, mostly. I seem to remember a famous giant buried there somewhere? Fresh caught lobster cooked in the sand on the beach a few feet from where they were brough in, delicious! The incredible tides i the Bay of Fundy. Many more memeories I won't bore you with here.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Quote from: TelePlay on July 18, 2017, 08:35:49 AM
I would guess that there isn't a cell phone network installed in that remote area of NS so the payphone is THE area phone?

And here's Rusty himself . . .

Look at the change in the place. I wonder what year your picture was taken.

TelePlay

Quote from: Duffy on July 18, 2017, 05:49:42 PM
Look at the change in the place. I wonder what year your picture was taken.

Just grabbed that off of Google maps today. Still a log exterior, now red, but grey the first, last and only time the Google car went through. I like to go in and look for signs of cell towers. I did not in that area. May be some, just didn't spot them. But given the population density, I still doubt they have PCS service up there.

AE_Collector

That's a BN4000 pedestal and I assume the header is Maritime Tel and Tel. That has to be quite a few years old now....anyone know when that (should have) disappeared....Dave?

Terry