News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Is this shiny "1908" Canadian (English version) a reproduction?

Started by rfkimba, February 06, 2018, 01:25:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rfkimba

Hi Collectors,
I received this shiny 11x11.75" porcelain sign from a well known collector and retailer for $250. My goal was to upgrade a lesser condition version mounted on my wall purchased from Ebay 18 months ago. When it arrived I noted 3 discrepancies I can't reconcile with my "1908 Canadian (English version) which is also pictured by Greg in Bell System Sign Types. A Collector's Guide  to Antique Porcelain Enamel Telephone Signs V3 by Bob Alexander p 46 shows the sign indicating it was made into the early 1940's. It is not listed as an English lettered Canadian as Greg has it listed. The three discrepancies in the new arrival are: 1) No discernable  porcelain ledging at all ;2) Font for Public Telephone is slightly smaller than my older porcelain ledged version; 3) Extra mounting hole is in the upper right corner on the opposite side of the flange unlike  my earlier version that lacks any accessory holes or the flange side positioning of the hole in Greg's photo.
I fail to see how a sign made into the 40's would have NO porcelain ledging . However it clearly is covered by porcelain layers. My earlier version and the better condition replacement both are about 2mm thick.   
Is this a reproduction?
Cautious,
Bob Farber

Jim Stettler

There may be some  differences on old signs depending on  the company that made it.
Just a guess though,
JimS.

You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Sargeguy

Looks legit to me.  Probably different manufacturers as Jim S. said
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409