News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Why do we collect?

Started by tjmack99, January 22, 2011, 06:17:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tjmack99

It's wierd because I don't particularly care for talking on the phone. What's the draw then? For me it's finding little pieces from the past that I find interesting.

Dan

I collect for many of the reasons you do.

I like quality antiques and want to preserve them for hopefully another generation to enjoy.

I also like the thrill of the hunt and finding gems in unexpected places.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

cchaven

I've always collected something...I've just not been one who could pick a single thing and stick to just that. It tends to be whatever I find truly interesting..and I love the historical aspect of it.  My father and his brothers and father were heavy into classic cars, as well as other things, so I was around those types early on.  One thing though, I've never collected in hopes of gaining from it monetarily or because it was the latest 'in' thing. Whatever it was always sparked my curiosity and made me want to learn everything I could about it..which generally meant I picked an area then tried to gather a few variations as I figured it out.

Jeff

tjmack99

I guess it's several things rolled into one. Finding (rescuing) artifacts from the past, an appreciation of the quality workmanship sorely lacking today, and the thrill of treasure hunting. As it's been stated on this forum, once you've been bitten there is no cure!

AET

I collect vintage everything.  And a cordless caller ID phone didn't look right with my things, so I wanted one to fit my decor.  Then 1 became another one, now I have around 65.
- Tom

Stockdale

Collect...  who collects???   :o  I thought everyone did this.  I thought it was a way of life! Darn!  Now you tell me it is a "Collection"??  ???  And that normal people don't really have 6-8 phones in a room??  Every room???  What are you trying to say?  we only do this cause we want to....NAW!!  NOT ME!  I ain't buying it!   
Its the LAW??
isn't it?

;D ;D ;D ;D

TelePlay

Great question. I get the most enjoyment hearing someone ask me how to make a call. I worked in the wireless industry long enough to know that nothing beats a landline and a pre-1980 phone when a call must be made. Maybe it's an addiction. You get one or two and you're hooked. Got to have one of each, and in every color. After collecting 50 or 60, the desire dies down until someone on this site puts up a photo of their 554 collection of every color except light grey and the thrill comes back. It just might be knowing there is a finite supply of these rock solid phones out there and when they are gone, or in collections, only those who have them will truly have a very important piece of history to show off. Two brass bells tops an electronic device anytime.

Just4Phones

I think it's oxford gray TelePlay  ;D

Doug Rose

Thirty plus years ago I started working in the Telecom industry. I was walking a Flea market and saw a square black telephone with no dial. No dial, how the hell did this work? It was heavy. It was in really nice shape and set me back $5. I got it to work, then with the help of my then girl friend, holding wires together, I got it to ring. Hot sweaty summer day and she was holding bare wires together. oh boy! She got a huge jolt of voltage and thought I did it on purpose. It was really funny at the time, but I had no idea. This was before cells phones,  so I had to have my neighbor keep calling me. He heard her scream and thought the worst! That square heavy phone was a metal manual 302, neat cloth cords...so cool. I still have it! I was hooked, I kept getting phones at the Flea market, I wouldn't spend more than $20 for a phone, then again I was making sh*t! I had a 500 set, a manual and dial 302, 202 and a stick. I thought I had every phone that was ever made. Then I found the ATCA and nothing was ever the same again!....Doug
Kidphone

Phoniac

WHY DO I COLLECT?
That's a good question, maybe because I haven't a life so I fill it with inanimate objects and dream of yesterday instead of trying to better myself by moving on in life. But, I doubt that's the reason. I've always loved mechanical and electrical items of the by gone days and how well they were made. Once I had a home that was completely decorated in different time periods including phones, appliances and even lighting and hardware. That was one home that I really felt at peace at.
Hey, Maybe I was right the first time.

Kenny C

I like it. The feeling of bringing things that have been forgotten back to life and into working order. It gives me a sense of accomplishment when I am done. And I love the look and feel of a 302  ;D
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Stockdale on January 23, 2011, 04:25:00 PM
Collect...  who collects???   :o  I thought everyone did this.  I thought it was a way of life! Darn!  Now you tell me it is a "Collection"??  ???  And that normal people don't really have 6-8 phones in a room??  Every room???  What are you trying to say?  we only do this cause we want to....NAW!!  NOT ME!  I ain't buying it!   
Its the LAW??
isn't it?

;D ;D ;D ;D
Normal people have 10-15 phones per room. Collectors have 50+ Per room, you should be safe for The next 8 months or so.
JMO,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

JorgeAmely

Darn Jim, I guess I am not a collector! I counted 44 phones in my small office (but in ringers alone, I have more than 50).
Jorge

Stockdale

Thanks Jim S. 
I was worried..Glad to know I got a ways to go in the normal range still.  Won't start worrying then until the 2nd barn is full...   ;D  Feel soooo  much better knowing this is normal...AAhhh...

Ed D

OK, why do I collect? 

I don't know.  It must have seemed like a good idea at the time...  ;D

It is slowly becoming an obsessive-compulsive disorder for me!

Send me your old, unwanted, working or broken phones yearning to come to me for free!

I need help!  Sigh...

Ed