"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Hello All new to forum. Help on stuck bakalite

Started by Stockdale, January 22, 2011, 08:21:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stockdale

Greetings all,
Just found you site, and have been lurking around reading some posts.  Most interesting site.  Don't know how I missed it this long.  Been playing with these old ringers for about 40 years, and know a few things still, but could use some help on how to remove the stuck receiver ring from a broken Bakelite headset.  Not much to save here, but may be able to use the ring again.  IF i can get it unstuck.  Any suggestions.  Thanks for your help.

Phoniac

Stockdale, I haven't had many old sticks and don't remember having one that had a stuck cap but, I've done this on many other items with luck. Put the receiver in the freezer for about hour till good and cold and get yourself a hair dryer. The minute you pull it out from the cold hit the cap and cap ONLY with the hair dryer on medium. Don't spend too much time because the rest will start to warm and it wont work. After a few seconds of heat try to unscrew it.

Dennis Markham

I've had good luck just warming the part with the hair dryer....no freezer.  A strap wrench works good too.  However my only experience deals with Bakelite caps or plastic caps on Bakelite.  I've never tried removing the cap on one of those receivers.

There may be some other posts about this subject.  I know we've talked about stuck caps in general before.

Welcome to the Forum by the way.

Stockdale

Thanks Phoniac, Dennis,
Will give the freezer and then heater a try.  I know it works with metal bolts and the like, so worth a try. 
I don't know if the threads are just full of yuck, or if perhaps the person that applied the tape perhaps added glue to the threads as well.  In which case I probably will never get it apart. 
Worse case I may be able to break the receiver part and break out small  pieces from the cap.  Kind of peace it out a bit at a time.  Was hoping  someone knew of something to spray on to dissolve and loosen the junk in the threads. 
I believe the phone to be a Kellogg 188, but does anyone know what the receiver is? 
Since I have to replace the receiver shell and add new cords, does any one have a good suggestion on where to find replacement parts? 

HarrySmith

Welcome to the forum :D
The heat trick will work if it is not glued. If it is glued since you are replacing it anyway I would try a hammer and chisel. Hold it firmly and use the chisel at an angle in the direction to loosen it. That may break it loose or at least split it so you can remove it in pieces :P
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

bingster

Harry gives me an idea...  Since the shell is already broken, you could just take a hammer to the shell to break it off the cap.  No muss, no fuss.
= DARRIN =