News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

this is what I needed for my system!

Started by Babybearjs, December 20, 2014, 10:07:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

well, I found the adapter I needed for my key desk sets late! anyway, this would be the adapter I would have used had I known they existed.... now, who out there makes these? 
John

WesternElectricBen

I've seen plastic box connectors that do the same thing at Lancaster. Maybe somebody knows the proper name? I know Shane Young would know what your talking about.

Ben

TelePlay

Check this out, it may be what you are looking for:

http://www.sandman.com/25pair.html

Scroll down to almost the bottom of the long page or search the page for their part number "SER5M"

They call it a "OCTOPUS Cables - 6' Modular Cables to an AMP Connector" and they can make one to fit your need, about $40 plus S&H.

Lot of other similar cable variations on that page.

Babybearjs

sandman wants too much for these, and its made differently... the one I saw was 6 RJ45 cords punched into a RJ31 connector. a lot cleaner then the one sandman shows... plus there are collectors out there that can make these things up other then just mike sandman.... so, who out there is making these things up? how about you Phil?? could you make these adapters up??
John

unbeldi

There are many types of connectors and break-out devices for 25-pair cables.
Sometimes these can be found for a couple $$ each.
These come with 6 x 8P8C, 8 x 6P6C, 12 x 6P4C jacks, I believe.
This one has 12 x 6P4C jacks for two pairs on each jack.

AE_Collector

What configuration would you like John? Are you wanting the Amphenol to connect to a 1A2 keyset? If so the Amphenol needs to be female. And would you like a jack strip or plugs like in your original picture? If for 1A2 lines you want 3 pair plugs or jacks presumably?

I have Amphenol punch down tools if you wanted to get set up to make your own Amphenols.

Terry

Babybearjs

Terry, basically just like the photo I posted, except that the RJ45 cords are color coded (blu, org, grn, bwn, slt, red) I have my entire jack system color coded so it is easier to make the connections. If you'd like a picture of what I'm talking about, just ask....
John

podor

The problem with some of the pre made connectors is how they line up with the 3 pair needed for each line for 1a1/1a2 systems. If your just trying to get tip and ring for each line, it probably won't work. That appears to have RJ45 connectors. With 8 conductors, you still have to come up with a connector to break out the tip and ring from every 3rd pair. I don't think it is available unless you make it yourself.

AE_Collector

RJ45 plugs and cords are 4 pair whereas 3 pair plugs and cords would make a lot more sense for 1A2 use. The adapter that John first posted a picture of appears to have 8 separate cords so the cords are likely 3 pairs each.

Since I worked on 1A2 systems a lot (we always just referred to it by AE's terminology AKT - Automatic Key Telephone) I woud be inclined to wire 25 pair cables with Amphenols on the ends to either 66 or BIX blocks and then you have all the flexibility you need to set it up (by jumpering) for whatever phone is plugged in.

I could see using an Amphenol Adapter to quickly make only line 1 work or maybe a set of Amp adapters, one set up for each line for testing purposes.

The types of 1A2 sets I have worked with is limited to 5 line sets made by NE, WE and AE, 18 & 30 button Call Directors and NE's Logic 10 & 20's. All of these sets have the first 5 lines wired in order using 3 pairs per line.

Call Directors had 6 lines on each key strip except for the first key strip which had 5 lines and the hold button. Line 6 was also wired like lines 1 through 5, that is 3 pairs per line and wired on pairs 16, 17 & 18 of the 25 pair cable.

NE's Logic 10's managed to put 9 lines on the first 25 par cable / key strip (plus the hold button) and for the Logic 20's there were 10 lines on the second 25 pair cable / key strip. They accomplished ths by wiring lines 1 to 5 on each cable just lie a 5 line phone using 3 pars per line and then dropping to 2 pairs per line for lines 6 to 9 (or 6 to 10 on the second key strip). The 4th and 5th leads of each 3 pair "line" are grounds tat can be eliminated by bunching up the grounds within the telephone set. This left only two pairs of "spares" for common ringers or buzzers as well as ther functions in NE's Logic phones. The two pairs were left over on the first cable only since there was no 10th line. Thus, the wiring of lines 6 and up on each 25 pair cableo NE Logic phones gets a little crazy for a standardized Amp Adapter per line.

I guess jacks, cords and Amp adapters can be used to relatively easily wire straight "3 pair per line" 1A2 lines to Key sets without having to mess up the Key set cord at all by using the adapter. The adapters can be made if you have Amphenols and the tool needed to punch the wires into them. It looks as though Sandman will make what ever you want for you as well.

I have Amphenols and the tools to connect the wires to them but I don't have a supply of 3 pair cords with RJ plugs on the ends. I guess they could be made up as well. If you would like a quantity of adapters to make it cost effective, i would say buy the parts and tools make them yourself John.

Terry

Babybearjs

enclosed is a photo of the modular jack setup I have in each location. the photo shown is my kitchen jack and I have a W.E. 444 at this location. the phone only uses 2 line cords, blue and orange... on my phones I use color matching cords as much as possible, mostly black on my 400 series phones. I used a ty-wrap on the and of the primary cord to flag it as the first cord to be plugged in.... on the wall I follow the color code fount inside the actual cordage...(blue, orange, green, brown, slate, red) on this setup I have a 3 pair jack as the last jack for my caller ID unit. I used a 25 pair cabling at all locations to make troubleshooting easier
John

AE_Collector

Oh, okay. You have put a lot of work into this! Nice. Are you using 3 or 4 pairs in each data jack? So you don't have data cords running to the phones, just to an adapter to Amphenol or to a screw terminal block for sets not equipped with Amphenols?

I see why the Amphenol with individual cords coming out of it s what you need. If you are using 4 pairs in the data cords it might be easier to find matching colored cords than it would be to find colored 3 pair cords.

Here is the For Sale topic I put up a couple of years ago for the stuff needed to put Amphenols on cables. You couldse thisto put cords intoAmphenols. The only concern is that these plugs are IDC connections so ideally the wires being attached would be solid 22 or 24 gauge. I am not certain how relable the connection of stranded conductirs would be. Amp Champ plastic connectors are designed for stranded conductors but need a different tool for installation.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=8526.0

Terry

Babybearjs

I'm using all 4 pair jacks on my system unless otherwise required. jacks 1,2, and 3 are for the landlines, jack 4 is for the signaling circuit and jack 5 is for my internet. Jack 6 is extra and is only in use in my bedroom and kitchen, all other locations have a F connector in this position for the TV's. its funny, because this has a lot of versatility since I only have 1 landline in service, and a ICM system, along with the VOIP system which is only in use at my desk. I remember as a kid, Pacific Bell used to wire homes with unsheathed 25 pair wire so, if you ever worked on the phone line you had a mess of wires in the wall. too bad people didn't take advantage of the wiring back then.... but, that was before we used computer like we do today....plus it was all CAT3 wiring anyway! I love having this system... it works pretty good, except when it rains.... then I get a lot of static across line 1... but just that line.... all the others are clear....
John

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: Babybearjs on December 29, 2014, 12:21:32 PM
I'm using all 4 pair jacks on my system unless otherwise required. jacks 1,2, and 3 are for the landlines, jack 4 is for the signaling circuit and jack 5 is for my internet. Jack 6 is extra and is only in use in my bedroom and kitchen, all other locations have a F connector in this position for the TV's. its funny, because this has a lot of versatility since I only have 1 landline in service, and a ICM system, along with the VOIP system which is only in use at my desk. I remember as a kid, Pacific Bell used to wire homes with unsheathed 25 pair wire so, if you ever worked on the phone line you had a mess of wires in the wall. too bad people didn't take advantage of the wiring back then.... but, that was before we used computer like we do today....plus it was all CAT3 wiring anyway! I love having this system... it works pretty good, except when it rains.... then I get a lot of static across line 1... but just that line.... all the others are clear....
Sounds like a nice system. Do you think you could create a thread about your whole system, including photos?

Ben

HarrySmith

WOW, looks like a nice setup! There is a member who lives in Miami that does a lot of 400 key phones. He brings a bunch to the phone show in Maitland every year and has a demo set up for them. He makes his own cords with new cable and new Amphenol connectors. If I can find his email I will forward it to you, he might be able to make what you need.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Babybearjs

Yes, this setup is nice, though its very basic. It adds value to the house so if I ever sell, the next person can enjoy my work. I had just won another 444 for my collection, when I tested it, only line 1 worked... found out that the screw heads on all three line switches has corroded off and that they couldn't be fixed easily. so, I went ahead and converted to phone over to a single line with hold... the catch is.... you have to hold down the hold key while you hang up the phone.... but it still works and that's what is important... single line or not....I'll have to update my photos of the system so everyone can see my work.... all I have to do to the system is get the buzzers in the rooms working.... all the stations are rotary dial except my desk... that has to be TT so I can retrieve my voice mail. I'm also going to be posting on Ebay this next year.... so be watching!   
John