News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Bakelite G1 handset

Started by podor, January 17, 2015, 06:58:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

podor

I just picked up a very nice 565HD from '62 for almost free. It is in pretty good condition. No cracks in the body and it's complete except for the number card holder. It even has the exclusion switch installed. Works perfectly. The only drawback is the bakelite handset has some cracking about a 1/2 inch up from the earpiece  cap. Is this repairable? Does it effect the value?

WesternElectricBen

You could try to melt it together with various different products like MEK or acetone. Although, a 1962 bakelite handset shouldn't be too hard to source. I might even have one you could use.

Ben

podor

Thanks for the offer Ben. I came across a correct handset and NOS cord for a fair price. I pulled the housing off the phone last night, and everything is pristine. I've never seen a phone this clean on the inside. No scratches on the housing, just some polishing needed. Even the numbers on the dial are still bright white.

TelePlay

Quote from: podor on January 17, 2015, 06:58:07 PM
I just picked up a very nice 565HD from '62 for almost free. It is in pretty good condition. No cracks in the body and it's complete except for the number card holder. It even has the exclusion switch installed.

Can you post pictures of the outside and insides?

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

podor

The receiver, or the whole phone?

podor

I've cleaned the outside and lightly buffed it, but the inside is untouched. At least 4 of the 5 lines and lights work (I have a 551B KSU). I'm not familiar with how the exclusion plug works, or what function it's wired for. Everything is 11/61 to 1/62, and I mean everything. That's what stinks about the receiver being cracked.