News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Display collection - with or without mounting cords

Started by Russ Kirk, March 06, 2012, 01:24:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you display your collection of desk sets with or without mounting cords?

I leave my mounting cords on when I display my phones.
25 (80.6%)
I take the mounting cords off when I display my phones.
6 (19.4%)
I only collect wall phones and swtichboards so I don't have to worry about mounting cords.
0 (0%)
I keep my phones in a box ready to sell.
0 (0%)
Cell phones don't have cords!
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Voting closed: March 20, 2012, 02:24:36 PM

Dan/Panther

To solve the cord problem, I considered notching out the back of each of my phones and installing modular outlets, so what does everyone think ??? Just plug in the extension and dial.  How cool huh !
D/P

;D

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

AE_Collector

Only if you use the approved "Notching Tool".

Terry

Dan/Panther

Can you imagine someone standing in front of a press all day long just notching out soft plastic cases by the hundreds, for modular plugs at some refurb station. !

D/P

AE_Collector

There was a great discussion on the TCI quite a few years ago about the "Notching Tools" for use in the field to upgrade "in place" phones to modular cords. The discussion went on to the absurd with guys joking about notching their colored 302's, AE 40's, etc. Then it progressed through the switchers on the "List" coming up with great ideas like notching the steel can covers on their Strowger witches so modular handsets could be quickly plugged in to demonstrate how their prized ancient collectible switches operated. Someone else had a working cabinet of Plunging Lineswitches in wood and glass cabinets that he was going to "notch" so the doors didn't have to be opened letting dust in etc.

I kept the entire discussion on my computer for years because it made me laugh everytime I even thought about it let alone reread it all. Unfortunately I no longer can find it. A casualty of upgrading to newer computers I guess.

Terry

Sargeguy

I have a shelf that is backless and I just let them hang. 

As for notching, I have a 534 subset that has been notched and converted to modular.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

GusHerb

I have several of my phones on "working display" around the house, and I usually circulate them spur of the moment so it would be silly to remove the mounting cord. One thing I have done on almost all of them is disconnect the ringer, since my 302 (in it's permanent location on the old phone table in the dining room) is assigned to ringing duties permanently.
Jonathan

Dan/Panther

Quote from: GusHerb on March 07, 2012, 10:01:57 PM
I have several of my phones on "working display" around the house, and I usually circulate them spur of the moment so it would be silly to remove the mounting cord. One thing I have done on almost all of them is disconnect the ringer, since my 302 (in it's permanent location on the old phone table in the dining room) is assigned to ringing duties permanently.

As far as hearing it ring, I doubt there is a spot in your house you can't hear it.
D/P

bingster

I don't have much display room, and only have phones out that are actually in service.  Since the rest are boxed up, I tend take the cords off, so that they don't get kinked in a box.  Straight cords get loosely coiled, and spring cords are kept as kink-free as possible.  Cords go in the boxes with their respective phones, so there's no confusion about what cord goes with what phone.
= DARRIN =

GusHerb

Quote from: Dan/Panther on March 08, 2012, 12:58:13 AM
As far as hearing it ring, I doubt there is a spot in your house you can't hear it.
D/P

Not at all! this is a big 3100 sqft multi story house too, I would hate to have it ringing near my bedroom. Only time I can't hear it is when I'm taking a shower in my bathroom, which is on the other end of the house, upstairs, off the hall and behind two doors instead of just one.
Jonathan

Vern P

As for me, my colloection feild is so wide, I do this.

On the C/S  and cradel set's, I remove the cord and put in the sub set, if it came with one. with a note. But most of these cords, are just black.

As for the desk set's, the cord is removed and stored or coiled up inside the set.

My shelf do not have room for the cord and can't drop behind either.

I have run out of room to display, so I some of the phones in the back room, also I am adding another wall to make more display space.

Vern P