News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric 500 true value?

Started by malpa, September 28, 2010, 11:50:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KeithB

That's what I thought, 59's a year later than my birth year, but I wanted an pre-1960 black 500 anyway, and $10 + shipping is an entirely acceptable price for me.  :D

Dennis Markham

I think the date is older than 1959.  Leather foot pads were replaced with the neoprene pads about August of 1958.  So the chassis is older.  Of course we can't tell about the plastic, but with that dial card I'll bet things were left original.

Wallphone

Here is a neoprene from 12-58. > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220672370821 <
My question is, isn't this one of the "rare" colors? There are no pics of under the hood and the back mouse hole looks like it has a nick. Do phones from Illinois Bell go for less, or was this one a good deal?

HarrySmith

Yyeah, it was a good deal and I missed it! I put in the opening bid and promptly forgot about it, when I went back to check it was too late :(
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

KeithB

<Here's a bargain late 1950's Black 500 C/D> on Buy It Now for $8.25 + $13 shipping.  Suede feet, metal fingerwheel (installed backwards).  Get it before someone else does...  ;D

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

KeithB

:-[  :-[  :-[  (My embarrassment at not knowing you posted it months ago.)

It sure would be a treasure for someone looking for an early 500 at an ridiculously inexpensive price.  Repainting the finger wheel is a piece of cake and dial card rings are certainly plentiful enough.  Were there more pictures in the July auction?  Or did Dennis just guess at the hard plastic replacement shell from the appearance in the pictures?

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: KeithB on September 29, 2010, 11:23:35 AM
:-[  :-[  :-[  (My embarrassment at not knowing you posted it months ago.)

It sure would be a treasure for someone looking for an early 500 at an ridiculously inexpensive price.  Repainting the finger wheel is a piece of cake and dial card rings are certainly plentiful enough. 

I got a beautiful 2/53 black 500 a while back on ebay for $13.  If one has patience, they should be able to catch an early black 500 for cheap.  Colors are a different matter.

Larry

deedubya3800

Check out this little (soon-to-be) beauty I snagged the other day for $7.95 Buy It Now, plus shipping, within 2½ hours of listing. According to USPS, it cleared a sort facility in Jersey City this morning. They're out there, and some of them can be had cheap. The true value of this one? More than eight bucks, I'm sure.

HarrySmith

There were more pictures I just posted the one becuase I thought the dial was humorous ;D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Dennis Markham

Keith, I did guess based upon a photo that showed the inside of the housing.  There was a date stamp with the two-digit year inside a circle.  However my assumption was because it was stamped that way that it was hard plastic.  I forgot that black phones were often soft plastic into the mid 60's.  So it MAY be soft plastic.  But the time-stamp/date would not have been that way on the date displayed on the chassis (8-56).

KeithB

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on September 29, 2010, 11:27:50 AMI got a beautiful 2/53 black 500 a while back on ebay for $13.  If one has patience, they should be able to catch an early black 500 for cheap.  Colors are a different matter.
Larry, $13 is a great price for an early 500.  Patience is certainly the key.

Quote from: deedubya3800 on September 29, 2010, 11:34:34 AM
Check out this little (soon-to-be) beauty I snagged the other day for $7.95 Buy It Now, plus shipping, within 2½ hours of listing. According to USPS, it cleared a sort facility in Jersey City this morning. They're out there, and some of them can be had cheap. The true value of this one? More than eight bucks, I'm sure.
I'm certain with a replacement handset cord and a bit of cleanup and polishing, it should value at more than $25 to $35, certainly.

KeithB

Quote from: HarrySmith on September 29, 2010, 11:44:26 AMThere were more pictures I just posted the one becuase I thought the dial was humorous ;D
I certainly found it humorous ;D as well.  Fortunately, that's one of the easier fixes.  :)

Quote from: Dennis Markham on September 29, 2010, 11:58:51 AM
Keith, I did guess based upon a photo that showed the inside of the housing.  There was a date stamp with the two-digit year inside a circle.  However my assumption was because it was stamped that way that it was hard plastic.  I forgot that black phones were often soft plastic into the mid 60's.  So it MAY be soft plastic.  But the time-stamp/date would not have been that way on the date displayed on the chassis (8-56).
Okay, I wondered if there were other pictures I hadn't seen, or if your expertise observed something I hadn't.  Thanks, Dennis!

HarrySmith

Just perused eBay a little and found a number of 500's for under $20.00, both Black & colors.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

KeithB

Somebody from Michigan just put up a 1957 Mediterranean Blue 500, too.  :o