News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Beautiful SC Candlestick

Started by Doug Rose, July 13, 2012, 11:59:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Janet and I picked this up in Maine about a month ago. I just haven't had the time to work on any personal phones. I am off today and I just wiped this beauty down. It is exactly how it was found with exceptional black cloth SC cords and am SC bulldog type mouth piece. The bottom cover looks brand new. The paint looks utterly fantastic, like it has to be a repaint. BUT the SC receiver looks brand new as well with raised lettering on the top and the cap. I have never seen the number retainer screwed in on the base off a stick, the early SC desk phones had this, but I have never seen it on a stick.

Story from the guy selling it, he bought it at an estate sale. It was a lady's husbands first phone in his NY apartment. Even has the Hillside dial card. This was just a wipe down and a few very minor touches to the paint and I mean minor. This looks like it just rolled of the SC assembly line. He couldn't have been in his appartment very long!!! Anyone with any information on this??....Doug
Kidphone

poplar1

Doubtful that NY Tel (Bell System) would have used St. Carl phones. I don't know whether NYC had competing telephone companies back then; the non-Bell company could have used non-WE phones.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Doug Rose

Quote from: poplar1 on July 13, 2012, 12:27:16 PM
Doubtful that NY Tel (Bell System) would have used St. Carl phones. I don't know whether NYC had competing telephone companies back then; the non-Bell company could have used non-WE phones.
Just the story I was told. Have you ever seen a retainer ring screwed into a stick?
Kidphone

paul-f

Quote from: Doug Rose on July 13, 2012, 11:59:11 AM
Story from the guy selling it, he bought it at an estate sale. It was a lady's husbands first phone in his NY apartment.

If the apartment was in upstate NY, not NYC, it makes sense.  SC was located in Rochester, NY, served by Rochester Telephone -- a large independent phone company.

When I was growing up near Rochester, RTC installed an SC 1543 when the exchange was converted to dial.

SC also had number cards on the base of their early handset phones.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Doug Rose

http://rcrowe.brinkster.net/tensearch.aspx

Numbers DialedLetters DialedEXchange NameCityStateCountryMore infoContributed By4HHillside.RochesterNYUSAfrom my collection. Old manual exchange name.nLAmbert

Numbers Dialed

Letters Dialed

EXchange Name

City

State

Country

More info

Contributed By

H

Hillside.

Rochester

NY

USA

from my collection. Old manual exchange name.

nLAmbert

Kidphone

poplar1

sorry, I misread "NY" as "NYC"
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.