News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Complete Western Electric Interphone

Started by zapper, July 27, 2012, 04:51:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jsowers

You could look for vermilion date stamps that might indicate modifications. I have a red 511 that has a "511X" stamp on the bottom and the Interphone components inside. Different Bells may have done it different ways, though. Below is a shot of the base of my phone. It has not only the "511X" but a vermilion date stamp from 1963.

From the 1961 dates on the unit and speakers, I'd say the phones were replaced long about 1966 with Touch-Tone and the house had rotary phones on their Interphone before that. The Home Interphone and the Farm Interphone made their debut in 1960, I think.

I can't help thinking how wonderful it would be to see this system all hooked up and working. It would make a fantastic phone show exhibit. Your find makes me want to drive through upscale 1960s housing developments and look for door speakers. I'd probably get arrested.  :)
Jonathan

poplar1

I don't know that the networks would be any different. I think there is a BSP showing how to install the transmitter inside the phone so maybe this was always done in the field.

There is a  pink 1712B (2-line Princess) currently on ebay (Item number: 160853440121) that someone has written a "T" after the model number. If yours had had the same thing then I might have thought the T meant something. In any case, this Princess seems to have a lot of conductors in the mounting cord.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

poplar1

By the way, the front door unit is a 730A and is called a "receiver unit (front door answering)"
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Doug Rose

Just an amazing find!! What do plan on doing with them? The future looks bright for you on eBay.. ..Doug
Kidphone

zapper

I will be going back to the house and see if I can swap the 730A by the front door for an E1A ringer

zapper

The owner of the 1712B Princess probably wants everyone to know its a Bell Tel phone, hence adding the T.

Will wait before putting the system on E Bay, the buyer from Canada would probably be interested it the package.  He purchased a 759A back in April from me. The phones need to be cleaned and 2 of the 759A's were painted.  As I mentioned previously this will be a winter project.  I thank everyone for all their comments and  truly admire some of the collections the members have posted.  I also posted a question in the wooden phone section on help with a Swedish American wall phone. Still no responses.