"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Is this 500 worth it?

Started by McHeath, August 16, 2009, 05:43:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jsowers

Quote from: Dennis Markham on August 17, 2009, 10:32:24 AM
Jonthan---my yellow phone, I mean your yellow phone looks great.  Your observations about the manufacture date of white sets and other info is very helpful.  To shed light on what Jonathan was talking about ("Dennis remembers it well") goes back to when this phone was listed on eBay.  I was buying phones when possible at the time.  I like to hit them at the end of the auction.  Often there is a "feeding frenzy" at the end and when the dust settles I always hope I'm on top.  I used to lose out on a few to a fellow in North Carolina......guess who?  On this one I had really padded my bid and was waiting to hit the confirm button until the precise second that I always hit the confirm button.  Well this time I hit the button (I have cable internet service--so it's pretty fast) it was "thinking" way too long.  When eBay finally replied to my confirm the reply was something like......sorry big boy, the auction has ended.  What?  It took me a while to get over that one...wait, I'm still not over it! :)

The lesson I learned that day still applies and confirms what I really already knew.....You win some and you lose some.  Also, someday there will be another.

Thanks for showing us that phone though Jonathan, it's a good one to have in the collection despite the fading on the handset cord.

Dennis, I hated to rub salt in that wound, so forgive me for posting that particular phone. If it's any consolation, you've beaten me out many, many times and you're exactly right--you win some and you lose some. Or if you bid a reasonable amount you do. And as God is my witness, I said many times "I don't know who that Markham guy is, but he has great taste in phones." :) That was back in the day when you knew who your competition was. Now it's anyone's guess.

The exact same thing happened to me, and on dialup with a Mac laptop back then my connection was about as stable as a tumbleweed. I was bidding on a light gray soft plastic 554, a very rare bird, and my connection dropped when I clicked the BID button. I even emailed the winner. who was Eddie Maddox in Texas, and he wasn't interested in parting with it for even my max bid. He was kind enough to send me pictures of the phone finished, complete with the nice card that was turned around. Eddie was very nice about it, but oh, that one hurt for a long, long time. I did eventually find another one.

Good luck to whomever gets this yellow/gray phone. I agree with the others who think that question could be a plant, but we may never know. I remember the name of the seller from years ago and Dennis and I often got outbid by Phontiques.
Jonathan

Greg G.

Quote from: jsowers on August 17, 2009, 03:23:21 PM
Dennis, I hated to rub salt in that wound, so forgive me for posting that particular phone. If it's any consolation, you've beaten me out many, many times and you're exactly right--you win some and you lose some.

I guess all that was before they started using an alias for the buyers?
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

jsowers

Yes, Brinybay, those were the good old days, when you knew who was bidding against you. No aliases like g***r, but everyone did have a handle of his own choosing that all could see, and you could send anyone an email. It was a community. At one time people could even use their email addresses as their handles, though I didn't. I suppose the new system keeps the scam artists away from our doors, but eBay has lost what little personality it had.
Jonathan

Jester

It sold for $315.00 today-- which one of you snapped this one up?
Stephen

Dan

"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

McHeath

bingster

Not me, either.  I think that's a fair price for that phone, though.
= DARRIN =