News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

RotaTone & Dial Gizmo Pulse to Tone Converters

Started by McHeath, October 05, 2008, 10:25:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McHeath

So what's the scoop on the Rotatone sold by Oldphoneworks?  Anyone have first hand experience with one?  Do they actually work?

phoneguy06

Hi there,

As I mentioned in my recent post that showed my blue and my pink phones, each of them have a Rotatone installed, and it works wonderfully. About the only time it doesn't work is with an automated system that expects an especially quick response, but most are just fine with it. I also noticed that with a few automated systems you have to wait for the system to stop talking before you can "press 2" for example, but that is also rare, most of them you can just interrupt as soon as you hear the option you want, as with any touchtone. Hope this answers your questions, it never ceases to make me laugh that two of my rotary phones have speed dial, last number redial, and let me "press" # and "*"!

McHeath

Hmm, been thinking about getting one for the 354 in the kitchen.  It would be the ultimate coolness to be able to beat the system, so to speak, with the 1951 rotary phone and "Press star to continue". 

The Soph Gent

I would like to be able to use an old rotary at my house. The phone has NOT been converted to tone so if I want to use it are these my only options?
Note - House is on Verizon network which I believe, does NOT support "pulse".

Options:
Purchase a rotary that has been converted to tone?
Purchase a separate converter (adapter) box that bridges pulse to tone?

Any thing else?

twocvbloke

Third option; Purchase a Panasonic KX-T308 or T616 phone system which converts pluse to tone within itself, and allows you to use all your connected phones as an intercom and as a demo unit... :)

Fourth option; the Rotatone adaptor, fits inside your phone and does all the converting of pulses to tones for you in one simple unit... ;D

EDIT:
Helps to paste the link to the rotatone!!:
http://tinyurl.com/yjz49wu

dsk

I guess you have got it listed up now, I haven't tested the rotatone , but the external adapter Dialgizmo http://tinyurl.com/yfkovm5 works for me, and you need only one directly on the line.

Of course the Panasonic solution is perfect, but I don't know if you are infected by this telephone virus yet, but a Panasonic will help  :D

dsk

JorgeAmely

Everything you always wanted to know about Rotatone equipped phones:

https://picasaweb.google.com/vintagerotaryphones/RotatoneInstallationWesternElectricModel500Telephone#5447952614452490418  dead link 6/22/17

Jorge

gpo706

"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

Bill

I have internet phone in several locations, and they all support pulse dialing. The difference seems to be in the modem, not the network. You might call Tech Support at Verizon and ask if they have a different modem. If you can reach a real techie (who speaks English, that is the real trick), they tend to be supportive of this kind of thing - so don't settle for a Customer Support rep.

A quick question. Do you have/can you get a cheap phone that has a "Pulse/tone" switch? Does it fail to work when in the Pulse position?

"Nuther question. If you flap the hookswitch once, does it break dialtone? If so, can you "dial" with the hookswitch? If so, rotary is supported

Bill

The Soph Gent

Quote from: Bill on June 04, 2012, 08:31:16 AM
I have internet phone in several locations, and they all support pulse dialing. The difference seems to be in the modem, not the network. You might call Tech Support at Verizon and ask if they have a different modem. If you can reach a real techie (who speaks English, that is the real trick), they tend to be supportive of this kind of thing - so don't settle for a Customer Support rep.

A quick question. Do you have/can you get a cheap phone that has a "Pulse/tone" switch? Does it fail to work when in the Pulse position?

"Nuther question. If you flap the hookswitch once, does it break dialtone? If so, can you "dial" with the hookswitch? If so, rotary is supported

Bill

Thanks for the info, Bill. I will check. I am doing this for my GF and she wants to have a rotary wall phone. I have tried a couple rotary's at her house and the last one dialed but auto operator comes on and says, "please dial an area code first...", which obviously I was. When I dialed the phone, the dial tone kept going even after dialing the first 3 numbers.

phone-sweep

I recently sold a Western Electric 302 to a customer.  It worked fine for a bit and then it wouldn't dial out anymore.  After further discussion, turns out she had just switched her service from Comcast to a service called Knology.  Frankly, I was surprised to find out the phone worked no problem with Comcast.  But it seems as though the new service (Knology) won't let her dial out - everything else about the phone works fine - rings, transmits, etc.

So, sounds like the phone is a candidate for one of those pulse converter dealies.  Does anyone have an idea on where to get a converter that will work with Knology?  She (the customer) is open to buying a converter to get the dialing back but I don't want her to get a converter that won't work with her service.  Any ideas?

I apologize for not searching the forum as this topic may or may not have been discussed before... Just looking for a quick and dirty answer here...

Tech12

Hey guy's: An Inline Pulse to DTMF converter but so far not had any luck in finding 1, if any of you guys know of a supplier at a reasonable price i'd be glad to know of them.

Not Everything is Repairable but we try our best.

AE_Collector

Go to the CRPF home page and then search rotatone. There will be lots of discussions. Rotatone looks like another candidate to put together a "Super topic" here on CRPF.

AE_Collector

Dial Gizmo or maybe Dialgizmo might be another one.

You need to search from the Home Page in order to search all Categories and boards on the CRPF.

Terry

Tech12

Thanks Guys appreciated.

Thanks A.E: Dialgizmo it is, have emailed them for a price to the UK.

Andy
Not Everything is Repairable but we try our best.