News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Raleigh flea market

Started by rdelius, June 05, 2011, 06:25:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rdelius

Bought this soft plastic WE 500 set dated 9-58 today for $20.00.Handset somewhat discolored from dirty hands or make-up.Did not have a white one in my collection.
robby

Dan

Congrats, white is hard to find.
Great buy. I had a great weekend too, and I will post pics as soon as my camera battery charges.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

LarryInMichigan

I went out to a big flea market this morning but saw no phones other than two 554s (one modular).  I did buy a Numechron and a Telechron clock though.

Larry

Dan

Hey larry, I have 4 numechrons, what kind did you get?
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

jsowers

Congratulations, Robby, on finding white soft plastic for a bargain price! You can try some rubbing compound on the handset and it might remove the embedded dirt. If it's staining, it may be a hard to fix. It almost looks like makeup.

Is there a bonus number card? I hope so.

Also, that coil cord could benefit from winding around a dowel and then leave it in the hot sun for a day or so on your car dashboard in the sun on a paper towel. Then bring it indoors and let it cool for a few hours and remove the dowel. At least that's what I do and it works for me.
Jonathan

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: Dan on June 05, 2011, 07:22:38 PM
Hey larry, I have 4 numechrons, what kind did you get?

Dan,

It is mostly like Doug's in this post (http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=3326.0), but without the "GMT" wording.  The date on the bottom is 1965.  The motor was terribly noisy when I first plugged it in, but I squirted plenty of oil into the little hole in the motor/gear housing, so it is not nearly as noisy now, but the motor is extremely hot.  After running 20 minutes, the motor is too hot to touch.

Larry

Dan

They run hot, looks like you got a good 24 hr military time one. There is a good youtube video showing how to lube them and it may help your motor.

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: Dan on June 05, 2011, 10:38:23 PM
They run hot, looks like you got a good 24 hr military time one. There is a good youtube video showing how to lube them and it may help your motor.

Dan,

I just checked part of a video about these, and the guy in the video stated that his motors are also very hot, so I fell better now about mine.  Unfortunately, I foolishly cleaned some of the numbers off of the hour wheel while I was cleaning off the dirt, so it doesn't look quite so good.  Also, parts of the numbers on the second wheel have worn off.  The clock shell is in very good condition though.

Larry

JimH

Very nice, Robby!  Looks like you got a similar deal to my white soft plastic (2-58) I recently got for about $20 including shipping.  With the tenite shell and handset, I just used a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser to remove the stains, and then some Novus #2 to bring the shine back up.   The soft plastic white doesn't seem to require any bleaching, just some elbow grease.
Nice Find!
Jim H.

old_stuff_hound

Raleigh, hmm? Fairgrounds or Capital Blvd?

Congrats on the phone!

We might be neighbors....

rdelius

Fairgrounds flea market. I dont speak spanish :)
Robby

old_stuff_hound

Quote from: rdelius on July 01, 2011, 06:34:36 PM
Fairgrounds flea market. I dont speak spanish :)
Robby

It's been years since I've been to the Capital Blvd flea market. No hablan Ingles there any more? I've started making the thrift store rounds again, but most of the thrift store I used to go to are gone.

Oh well, didn't mean to hijack the thread....

gpo706

My mother ended up having a mongrel white set in the living room as it looked so pretty as ext.24 through the Pana PBX.

Brushed up real nice.

I posted a thread but its a long story...
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"