News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Windows 10

Started by Babybearjs, August 07, 2015, 01:01:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

I wound up downgrading back to 7 on my main system, The printers weren't connecting right. we have a laserjet5 in another room and I can connect to it wirelessly with no problem in 7, but 10 has changed to where there is no scanning for network drives... when I tried to connect to the printer, windows 10 wanted me to connect the laserjet directly to my system, and the printers in another room! I'm going to wait until the OS has been out for awhile before going back.... there are still issues with it and its no problem to wait....
John

compubit

My biggest reason for staying as is - Windows 7 works with everything I have (just like XP did when Vista was released...).  Windows 10 dropped Windows Media Center (which controls my Cablecard-based HD Homerun), drivers aren't always there, and there's a compatibility issue with our corporate VPN...  At least they brought the Start menu back - drives me crazy having the tiles pop up when hitting the Windows key in Win8...

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

Babybearjs

.....and then there's this "upgrade" that won't go away.....yes, I'm back on 10..... it seems that Microsoft has my number.... or at least my computer.... what I did was  to downgrade back to 7 (64 bit this time) and be happy with it... well, low and behold... MS upgraded me back to 10.... for free.... wonder how long this will last??? it seems that once you upgrade to 10.... they will re-upgrade you as long as its on the same machine.... for free??? so far so good.
John

TelePlay

Have any of the problems you discovered during your first upgrade gone away with the next upgrades? Is it getting better or just the same thing?

Greg G.

I haven't reverted yet, I'm trying to like W10, but it's a little difficult.  It seems to load faster, but that could be due to the graphics looking "flat", I'm not sure.  When I bring up a window, I prefer to work with it in full screen mode, but some don't have the full screen option, I dislike having to drag out the sides to enlarge it.  Also the thumbs of pictures I upload are not WYSIWYG, apparently the thumbs are auto-rotated to the correct orientation, but only the thumb.  The actual picture could still be sideways, I have to open it with a graphics editor to see which way it's actually oriented.  In W7, the thumb would show sideways if that's the way it was taken.  I could then rotate it using Windows or open it in a graphics editor and rotate it.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Bill

I received this post on another technology-oriented newsgroup.  Take it for what it is worth - but the content is a bit more than interesting.
-----------------------------------------------
From that notoriously unreliable scandal and gossip rag "Electronic
Products":

> Unless you pay close attention to the options listed during the
> initial installation of the OS, you'll automatically be opt-in to
> disclose your computer usage, location history, data from messages,
> calendars, contacts, and insert targeted ads. The OS assigns all users
> a unique advertising ID that's tied to the email address associated
> with Windows and is fed data from your computer usage, and can then be
> solicited by third parties such as advertising networks for profiling
> purposes. For a detailed explanation of how your data is used, click
> *here
> <https://edri.org/microsofts-new-small-print-how-your-personal-data-abused/>*.
>
> Essentially, built-in tracking is why Windows 10 is presented as a
> free upgrade; the approach reduces piracy while guaranteeing Microsoft
> a return on the investment.

http://www.electronicproducts.com/Programming/OS/How_to_opt_out_of_Windows_10_s_default_data_tracking_in_4_steps.aspx

----------------------------------------------------

NorthernElectric

Quote from: Bill on August 15, 2015, 08:59:17 AM...Unless you pay close attention to the options listed during the initial installation of the OS, you'll automatically be opt-in to disclose your computer usage, location history, data from messages, calendars, contacts, and insert targeted ads. The OS assigns all users a unique advertising ID that's tied to the email address associated with Windows...

I haven't seen Windows 10 yet, but 8.1 had all that.  With 8.1, though it is not apparent at 1st, you do not have to use your email as login and thereby create a cloud account.  Just leave the email account blank and hit next a couple of times and eventually you are presented with a screen to create a traditional local login with Admin privileges.  And if you select the custom instead of express installation, you can turn off most of the features that you might object to from a privacy standpoint, at least initially.  You will have to watch out for prompts to re-enable some of these features later.

Hopefully, 10 will also allow you to create a local login during setup, rather than after the fact, so you don't have to give MS your email address at all.
Cliff

NorthernElectric

Quote from: NorthernElectric on August 15, 2015, 09:43:35 AMJust leave the email account blank and hit next a couple of times and eventually you are presented with a screen to create a traditional local login with Admin privileges.

I couldn't remember the exact wording of what to click on to create a local login.  I googled it and came up with some screenshots.  These are reported to be from Windows 10 and look the same as what I remember seeing in Windows 8.1.  So you leave the email address blank, click 'create a new account', then 'sign in without a Microsoft account' on the next screen, again leaving everything blank.  You will then see the screen for creating a local account.

Cliff

mdodds

To paraphrase a popular beer commercial: I don't usually run Windows, but when I do I run 7 Pro :)

That being said, since I'm in the IT business I need to at least know what it's like, so I downloaded the ISO and installed it on a 7 Pro laptop (with no personal info or data on it). It installed fine and seems to work OK, but since I answered NO to all the data mining privacy stealing options I won't be able to use Cortana which is arguably the only really cool addition for a standard desktop install. I'm not sure why MS needs to know my browsing history or who is on my contact list to answer a question, but apparently Cortana is a no-go without them being able to slurp up your personal info. And you still need Classic Shell or similar to get a proper Start menu.

Linux doesn't ask me for any personal info or require "activation". It just sits here and runs for weeks on end, and when I need to do Windows related customer support I can start my Windows 7 VM right here on the desktop.
The nightmare I see coming with 10 is the mandatory updates on the home versions. If you're old enough to remember Windows NT4 Service Pack 2, and the thousands of machines it bluescreened you'll know what I mean :)
Home users have no way to opt out of updates and you can just visualize the train wreck when one of them completely borks a few hundred thousand computers.

Greg G.

I played around with MS Edge today for a while, it stinks!
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Fabius

Loaded Windows 10 yesterday. I had been using Windows 7 Pro. The results:

THE GOOD: Installed easily. All my favorites, photos, documents and files are in place. The learning curve doesn't seem to be has bad as some have said. I'm pretty much close to being fully functional with it. If Microsoft's claims are true there's better security with 10.

THE BAD BUT FIXED: My Canon ink jet printer MP530 wouldn't work. The Canon support webpage said there was no driver for my printer for use with Windows 10. They suggested trying the driver for Windows 8.1 which I loaded and that fixed the problem.

THE BAD: Norton pop up spam. Very annoying! Checked on the internet and it may have to be removed from the registry to stop it. Spamware from an anti-virus company! More research needed.

Some of the places where I could drag a file from one location to another doesn't allow it now. More research will have to be done on this.

Microsoft has taken control from and options from users in certain areas such as update settings.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Jack Ryan

I have upgraded 4 PCs to W10 without issue except on one very modest touch screen/SSD laptop. The SSD of 64GB is too small and the track pad driver didn't update - I had to do it manually.

Your lack of printer driver is really Canon's problem but does dent the "experience". I assume the printer is quite old as it is listed as compatible with W98.

I have not had Norton pop up on any of the upgrades. I assume it must have been there already and was re-activated with the upgrade. What were you using before the upgrade? The upgrade disabled my antivirus program on all 4 PCs as it was not compatible with W10. After the upgrade the anti virus software automatically upgraded itself to a W10 compatible version.

The PCs that had a local login (not a Microsoft account) retained the local login after the upgrade. The PCs were a mix of W7, W8 and W8.1 before the upgrade.

There is one issue that W10 shares with W8 and W8.1 and that is that network security has been improved. The new Lan Manager session security requires 128bit encryption. This is fine if everything is new but older NAS drives (usually using SAMBA) don't support this so you can't browse to network shares on these drives.

I am happy with the upgrade but I rather hope what Windows doesn't become a subscription license.

Jack