News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Tell me your secrets, NE-2236QC

Started by Fushigi Ojisan, June 10, 2018, 05:20:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RotarDad

There is a copper sheet metal tab on the the switch hook which is supposed to operate a roller on a gate in the coin track.  Your metal tab is bent down at a 90-degree angle, which often happens with the upper housing is reinstalled with the handset on-hook.  Carefully straighten out the sheet metal and then always install the upper with the handset off-hook.  This will tilt the sheet metal piece up a bit so it won't get bent down.   Here is a pic of another NE - see at the very top of the pic the copper metal tab sticks straight out.
Paul

rdelius

The hookswitch has a tab that moves the nickel grabber on the coin  chute. It might be binding

Jim Stettler

Quote from: RotarDad on June 25, 2018, 06:14:48 PM
always install the upper with the handset off-hook.  This will tilt the sheet metal piece up a bit so it won't get bent down.   

Thanks,
I never realized that.
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Fushigi Ojisan

RotarDad called it.   

It looks like that piece had been bent down for a looooooooong time, given the corrosion on top where it was still horizontal (like it caught water leaks).  It may well have been bent since the 1991 service if not earlier. 

I bent it back, installed the upper housing with the receiver off the hook, and it went on just fine.  Functions great now too.

That means the cosmetic restoration is done.  Next comes function testing!
Fushigi Ojisan
Otaku with interesting hobbies

Key2871

Your set looks nice. I had an AE lpc set, chrome. When I took it home it was grubby. But after a couple hours of cleaning, I too had a pile of dirty black rags, it comes with cleaning old phones. As for the scratches and pits, you won't get them out short of having it re plated. My AE had the same thing, but when it was hanging on the wall, it looked really nice.
I didn't really notice the minor scratches once it was up, I just enjoyed the nice shiny chrome. And my set came with Beige dial, and shroud, as well as a beige handset. But I called Paul Vaverchak, I needed a coin return bucket. He said "I have NOS  Red dial/shroud Assembly's and your chrome would look fan damtastic with that on there, and I even have nice AE  Handsets in Red too." So I got all that and WOW, it looked sharp. So be happy with your phone, remember it's not fresh out of the box, and it has some wear. If that phone could talk, I bet it could tell some stories.
KEN

Fushigi Ojisan

I mentioned that in my very first post, I wanted to get a "resto-mod" paystation that was largely original, but updated and modified for home use.  I took a gamble on this NE because:  A.  The price was too good to walk away from, B.  At the show, I was able to test it for dialtone, C.  Didn't have an NE, D.  Three-coin and touch-tone is a rare combination, and E.  The chrome looks freakin' awesome.

This one, to be honest, required very little work to get it looking nice.  Yeah, some of the polishing rags came out black as well; Surf City Killer Chrome removed the dirt and oxidation but pretty much left the rest as-is and it worked in the stainless as well.

Have a Western Electric coming back from the restorer, I didn't see what the dial color was, but the handset was black.   Its also chromed; and even after paying for shipping and restoration, it still clocks it at about market value.   

Fushigi Ojisan

Key2871

I used semichrome polish, and it came out very nice. Are you having your western re plated? Or is the place just going to clean it up.
You could try a little more aggressive polish see if that does a better job.
KEN

Fushigi Ojisan

Both machines will keep their original finish, the wear adds character.

I've used Flitz and Semichrome before, it works, but its kinda difficult to work with.  I was also concerned because I was told the chrome plating on the phones is thinner than car bumpers.   The SFG Killer Chrome is a great product that did pretty much what I wanted it to do.

To be honest I barely remember the WE (restorer told its actually an NE, so I guess I will post it here).  I do recall it needed polishing really bad, the restorer said he might do it if he was in a good mood.   We'll see.

This site has been awesome so far
Fushigi Ojisan

Key2871

Chrome these days, is really thin. The plating on these old sets, not really. These were built to stand up to all sorts of things. I never had any problems cleaning and polishing.
I wouldn't worry about it, unless you use something really aggressive.
KEN

Fushigi Ojisan

Is 1971 old enough to have substantial chrome plating?

I had some Meguiars NXT All Metal Polish handy and used that on the back base, it cleaned up more of the stuff Surf City Garage didn't touch, looks pretty decent now.   
Fushigi Ojisan

Key2871

I think McGuire's is the best. I used semi chrome because that's what I had on hand, yes it was a little ruff to wipe off, but it left a great finish.
And yes, I think the plating on the 70's phone is going to be heavy enough for your polish.
Keep in mind it's a real payphone, built to take the stresses of the real world.
KEN

Fushigi Ojisan

Buddy brought by the coin box, yep, too tall.  Even taking off the top didn't help.

Tried some Mequiars on the chrome already cleaned by Surf City Garage, the cloth came out light gray instead of black, so it did something.   I did notice more light pits when I did, so maybe I don't wanna over-clean it.

Now I just have to get it to a jack to test out.
Fushigi Ojisan

Fushigi Ojisan

Wanted to give this thread an update.  FINALLY got around to plugging it in and testing it.

Got a dialone
Dials okay
was able to hold a conversation with my sister.

The sound quality is not what I would call stellar, but at least its not staticy or buzzy.   

Quick question:  Does this mean the pay portion is disabled?  I put in nickels when it was not powered up but nothing once plugged in.  Just checking to make sure its good to go.
Fushigi Ojisan

Alexis Kasperavičius

The relay in this phone would normally be powered by equipment in the central office, so nothing is going to make the escrow coin relay return or collect coins unless you help it.

Furthermore the small "nickel" relay on the coin mechanism is designed to engage when talk battery is reversed (when connected to an operator), allowing a single nickel to chime so an operator can request only five cents instead of the mechanism holding the first nickel so it only drops with the deposit of the second nickel.

So, to get reverse battery, you can use a grandstream HT801 Voip adapter - see link here:

https://www.amazon.ca/Grandstream-HT801-Single-Port-Telephone-Adapter/dp/B06XW1BQHC

If you want the coin mechanism to collect and return, there is a guy who makes a very nice controller that will generate the control signals. I think they are around 200 usd, so it's a commitment. He sells them as he makes them so if you do a saved search on this Ebay user, you will get a notification when he lists them for sale:

https://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_ssn=gray-western

There's another thread here that discusses it:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=21907.0